Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  triangulating i beams

triangulating i beams

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 441
replies 6
following 4

automatik23   +1y
the factory i beams on any ford have radius arms attached to them which run parallel to the frame, but what about welding tabs to the frame and to the i beam itself to triangulate it, would this work? i was gonna start building custom radius arms but i thought about this..im guessing poly bushings might bind so maybe heims? i saw you  at fff and was gonna ask you about this but you seemed busy talkin to the guy that ran west coast customs berlin.

automatik23   +1y

anyone?
redspowerjams   +1y

I would go with super pivot joints if i was going to try it but the last time i have seen this done it broke after a week, but he used bushings. work with caution and good welds, that is a stress point if done wrong.
slammedxonair   +1y

I thought about it once but never really looked into it much. I have a feeling the oil pan or tranny would get in the way.
automatik23   +1y

the triangulated bars would be outside the frame rails, so the tranny and oil pan wont be an issue
tre5   +1y

A thought for you to try out. This comes from some old school offroad stuff. I have never tried it and I am unsure how it would work depending on what is in the way. Can you run 2 parallel bars from the I-beam to the side of the frame heading towards the rear? So instead of having the radius arm attached to the I beam, it would be 2 tubes that pivot on the beam and the frame. It would cut down on the caster change. It would need to be heims though... as much as the beams move inward and upward as they travel. It would basically be setup as a parallel 4 link would be, but not connected to the axle, rather to the beams. I can try to dig up a pic of it, but I can't remember what truck I saw it on it was so long ago.
automatik23   +1y

thanks for the input jeremy....i thought about this a while back, but i was thinking of triangulating them to clear up a little more room but who knows, maybe ill end up doing it....id like to see some pics and figure out a way to mount the bars on the side of the frame..i do have a question with this tho, when the truck is fully laid out would the bars need to be paralell to the ground or would it be ok for them to slope down towards the back of the truck?
Page 1 of 1