ideas on my 1951 pontiac

American Cars General Discussions
views 1197
replies 12
following 5

lilbuddha   +1y
Edited: 2/7/2010 8:41:02 PM by lilbuddha

now i bought this car last year,
its on a gbody frame, 305/turbo 350 trans i know its stupid asking for thoughts from other people but im stuck how far i wanna take this car
now so far ideas for it are
body: shave handles, put 59 cadi tails in where tails are and smooth out whole body,
suspension: hydroholics kit or bag it fighting with that, but wanna bodydrop it dont know if i wanna to rocker or since the rockers are rusty do it to the door or just below the door,
wheels: some wide whites for city driving around and for shows buy some either smoothies or nice 5 spokes in a 20inch

im gonna be pulling the car back into the garage in about 2 weeks to pull the body off

also what do i need to lay out the front on 20's
scotto79   +1y

I would drop it to just below the door, so if its still your driver, you don't have to redo the door bottoms all the time.  And I would stay with the Pontiac tails, much nicer than the Caddys are.  As far as cleaning the body, I would leave only the hood trim on and shave everything else.  But those are just my ideas.
lilbuddha   +1y
yeah the hood trim is gonna stay and the trim follows on the trunk, id like to keep the trim above the body line cause its something you dont see often, but yeah everything else id like to get rid of, and im completly open to ideas
as for cady tails i need to do something unless i can find another pontiac tail, cause the back driver quarter has been hit
gslif   +1y

your gonna need drop spindles, notched lowers, and reangled(pie-cut) upper ball joints, notched for the tie rods to lay out on anything over a 25" tire
scotto79   +1y

Those tails are pretty easy to find as well, but not used as much as the Caddys.  They were used from 49-51, so the 50 lights that Mooneyes sells should be the right ones.http://www.mooneyesusa.com/50-pontiac-p-132.html
lilbuddha   +1y
yeah different tail lights then whats on mine,
but im actually looking at those, they seem like something nice to french in
also to get away from cutting up these control arms would like a trz tubular arm fix the balljoint issue, i honestly dont like the fact of cutting around the balljoint
gslif   +1y

If you could find some tubular uppers with the balljoints already reangled into the design you would be golden. I lucked out on my car because its based on an s10 front clip and accepts suicidedoors uppers/lowers if i ever do decide to go up to 20s. but pie cutting uppers is pretty simple and you could reinforce them after for more strength
tre5   +1y
Edited: 2/9/2010 11:20:16 PM by tre5

cut all the factory stuff off up front and do a mustang II setup. They can be done cheap if you know how to weld. There are companies that make the pivots with crossmember and motor mounts in a "weld it yourself" version. It can be picked up for only a couple hundred $$. Then you can buy tubular arms, drop sindles, and brakes from a whole range of aftermarket companies.
lilbuddha   +1y
i dont know if there are any companies that do a mustang 2 for a lets say 83 cutlass front end, cause everything factory is gone, the frame was tossed and a 83 cutlass frame was thrown underneath, so ease of parts and sbc swap right there, power brakes, power steering so got easy then,
im trying to figure out what i can do with this frame rear im not worried about as its just cut, cut and cut some more then weld up
but yeah jeremy im fine with welding, just dont wanna do this 5 times over and feel like im a dog chasing my tail with this project