threads
Page 1 of 1
Interior \  changing the color of interior plastic?

changing the color of interior plastic?

Interior Q & A
views 437
replies 8
following 8

garagebuilt   +1y
Is there a dye or something you can use to change the color of interior plastic? i want to keep the texture so it will look like a factory interior. i would like to go with a black or really dark gray instead of the light gray
suicidemazda   +1y

paint 'em
garagebuilt   +1y

yeah i have painted interior stuff but im not wanting anything crazy. just want a different color. is there a way to paint them and not sand the texture off?
trashed   +1y
i did my old mazda with duplicolor interior dye, just make sure you clean the plastic really good.           this pic is before i changed the steering wheel.  
post photo
post photo
pdolgner   +1y
I never was able to get the paint to stay on the plastic very long, no matter how good I prepped it.
dcorn27   +1y

SEM has good dyes. has said before clean the plastics very very good. If the plastics have any oils, silicones on them you probally will have some troubles with it sticking
juicedalero   +1y
i used SEM.  worked really good. 
post photo
disfiguredS10   +1y
 I used the SEM dyes on my old s10 and took everything from dark gray to white. it took tons of prep and cleaning, but it turned out good.
crazygenius13   +1y
Most paint systems offer a plastic cleaning paste that us used for raw plastic bumpers and moldings, and for this type of job as well. It's made to strip the release mold agents off the plastic before paint. If scuffing the parts with the appropriate scotch brite and that sort of past, then cleaning the panel before paint with a good wax and grease remover, does not do the job... Then sweating the plastic may be needed.

I've ran into that problem a few times with OEM moldings, and we basically bake the part 1t 150* or more for 45 minutes, scuff like mentioned earlier, sweat again, scuffed again, cleaned, painted. Works everytime.

Page 1 of 1