Page 1 of 2
Foreign Cars (honda, etc) \  A couple questions on unibody droppping a civic

A couple questions on unibody droppping a civic

Foreign Cars (honda, etc) General Discussions
views 846
replies 17
following 9

bagged4doorcivic   +1y
Well I've been thinking about doing this for awhile now and was just wanting to get some questions answered before I even begin to attempt this. I still plan on using this car to drive to shows and around town. 

1. What is the safest way to do the front. I have seen a couple people use tubing around the motor and weld it to the structure of the car and then I've seen people just run tubing straight across the motor to the bags on the control arms. I also need to know if you weld to the structure of the car how do you get the motor out if you have problems with it.

2.What size bags do you use?

3.Do you have to build a cantilever setup or could you raise the strut tower on the back?

4.Do you have to section the spindle?
92LOWYOTA   +1y

To answer your question on #1 just hope you don'e have any engine problems. J/K  You could always just drop the engine out through the bottom or make the support system be bolted on and off so if a situation comes that you need get the motor out and you want to take it from the top it could be done. I have never personaly done a unibody drop so I am not sure if a bolted on system would be strong enough but in theory I think it should be. Let me know if I am wrong.
bagged4doorcivic   +1y

Yea I know that you can drop the motor through the bottom the only problem with that is that I don't have a car lift. So dropping the motor through the bottom is out of the question. I thought about making the support system bolt on but i'm with you on the strength. Thanks for your input Doug.  
beyond static   +1y

I bolted the supports to the car when I did my wife's civic.  Started out using firestone 2500's up front, but swapped to slam re5's.  Got a little less lift, but rode around the same air pressure, with a ton of extra bag clearance.  When the car laid out the upper control arm would barely hit the hood.  Actually put a couple dings in it.  Sectioned spindles would be great to have.  Out back I used 2500 stones, and built it to bolt into the factory upper and lower mounts.  Used the top piece off the strut, and welded round tubing to the bottom of it, connected to a bag plate.  On the bottom I used a bag plate, and some 4link tabs to hold it to the lower control arm mount.  got a couple pics in my profile, but that's all I have.  Car has been sold.

baggedon22   +1y

my front brace is like a motor cage that is removeable  2500 firestone or re6 work good,,,,,,, i would cut ur spindals unless u know what ur doin with cast if not it will break, there are a few options on the rear cutting the trailing arm an raises it an then reinforcing it can get more drop that way raisin the tower etcc, or straight axel swap,i would search through the civics an look at other to get a idea how to do this if this is ur first time doin somethin like this get someone to help u that nse what there doin, o an i take motor out through the bottom just with a jack just take wheels off lay car on ground unhook everythhiing jack car up slide motor up then repet in reverse to put back in
baggedon22   +1y

sorry if mine doesnt make sense or bad spelling
bagged4doorcivic   +1y

thanks for the info guys. I already searched through the civics to find out how people are unibody dropping the back and most are using a cantilever or just dont have any pics showing the rear. Baggedon22 did you have your spindles cut and if you did how much did it cost?
baggedon22   +1y

well i did all my own work the spindals at first i did cut i did the whole heatin an sand thing an tired it , an i didnt do it right an it broke, so im using stock sindals    , what size wheels on u running anything less then 20s i say u dont have to do it. if u search cardomain for bagged96150 that my build thread off all my cars an the civic
bagged4doorcivic   +1y

I going to be running 18s. Why wounldn't I need to cut the spindle if i'm going to run 18s and beyondStatic was only running 15s and his upper control arm was hitting the hood? 
fatheadjames   +1y

Mine laid on 215/35/18 and spindles were sectioned 1.5" as well as trailing arms. To fully lay you need to raise motor and exhaust. Look at fievels 4 door. If I ever did another that would be how I did it. To answer your questions 1) Build it right and it could be bolted on 2) Use the biggest bag you can fit but I would suggest hydraulics 3) Don't have to do either if you want 4) If you don't want the upper in the hood then yes