Page 1 of 2
Ford Trucks \  Bagging a '92 Flareside

Bagging a '92 Flareside

Ford Trucks Make Specific
views 4665
replies 15
following 11

dmkustoms   +1y

A little while ago, I picked up a 92 flareside for a project for my girlfriend and I to work on together. It had front end damage, frame was bent, the stock 5-litre hardly ran and the tranny tail stock was cracked, but for $400 I couldnt complain. The plan is to build a frame, stcok floor bodydrop, do a diesel swap, and turbo it. Its going to become my daily driver when it is finished. It will probably stay on the original rims but with slightly smaller tires to fit under the flares. We started on it as a Christmas break project.

The Victim

The Donor

Pile of Parts

The easiest way to get at the motor was to just tip the cab back.

We started by building a front frame clip using measurements off the factory frame.

We put the cab on the frame and fit the motor in.We had to do a lot of cutting on the floor and firewall to get it to fit.

Next up was building the rear rails, fitting them up and my girlfriend practiced her welding on the gussets. It turned out really well (for a rookie!)

We fabbed up new front suspension, cause I-Beams suck.

This thing almost lays doors on the factory rocker!

I couldnt have done this without the help of my brother Rob, my friend Jon, and especially my patient girlfriend Jessica, and my parents for letting us use their shop!
pmiller   +1y

Your project is off to a nice start.  The donor van sure looks like an ex-Ryder truck.

bodydropped85   +1y
Edited: 1/9/2010 6:17:07 PM by bagged85

are you reusing the ibeam knuckle? looks bitchin. i smell a phantom dually   is that an IDI 7.3?
post photo
22below   +1y

That is awesome, look forward to seeing it done
jello   +1y

dmkustoms   +1y
--------------------------------------------

are you reusing the ibeam knuckle? looks bitchin. i smell a phantom dually is that an IDI 7.3?

-------------------------------------------- We didnt use the Ibeam knuckle. We actually used a spindle from a mid-90s Dodge work van, since it has the same bolt pattern but uses a control arm setup. We used the brake rotors and calipers from the same van. Steering tie rod ends came from a mid 90s Aerostar. We custom built a drag link and used an S10 power steering box and idler arm. The brakemaster is stock F150, with a Hydroboost setup from an late 80s Chevy truck behind it. It sure is an IDI! Its turboed and intercoooled now, and shes waiting on a new injection pump and injectors to make use of the extra air. Once thats all done, shes ready to rock, other than some finishing details!
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
bodydropped85   +1y
that is sick!
92zuzuman   +1y
Awesome.
Layumon22s   +1y
awesome truck. awesome of your girl to take i interest and help in the build. keep up the work
waynehammer   +1y
Looks awesome