Page 1 of 2
American Cars \  Help for my 59 impala

Help for my 59 impala

American Cars General Discussions
views 1177
replies 12
following 8

JOHNNYBEGOOD   +1y
      Yes i was wondering, my 59 has a 348 motor. I will be putting in a 350 motor in it. Would i have change the motor mounts or will it be same as the mounts for the 348? I am putting 350 in till later, i can fix the 348. I am going to replace the floors, where i have some holes and rust. The truck has alot of rust in it. I don't know how my gas tank was in there with so much rust. I will replacing the floor. I will be taking out the air conditioner and putting in a shifter there. When i get the motor in. I will be putting it back together. Then i will be painting it flat black. i need to buy four 2 1/2 white wall tires from Coker Tires. Hopefully have it out driving next summer. Thanks Johnny
boooghar   +1y

I know you will have to change the motor mounts for sure being both engines are different, now will a chevy 350 motor mount bolt to the stock location, that I cannot answer BUT I know these guys can ... http://www.impalas.net/forums/ good luck with your 59, I want a 59 wagon myself
JOHNNYBEGOOD   +1y
              Thanks I will check that site out thanks. Hopefully you will find 59 wagon.
post photo
02ramon20s   +1y

Do you Still have the 348 engine???
JOHNNYBEGOOD   +1y
   Yes I do.. I am wanting to rebuild it and maybe put it back in later..I just want to put something in for next summer. I still have some work to do(alot).
FLYINLO   +1y
Hey. Check out these on Craigslist. They are semi local and the price really can't be beat if you don't mind using factory 14's.    http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/1489882482.html
bigcuzdave   +1y

Trent, come on now, you weren't wanting that W-head motor were you?? Seriously, I have wanted to find a 348 and make it a 409 clone, stick it in the 64, and smoke the Hankooks. There's just something about opening the hood and seeing that odd looking big block........but I'm also not sure how the bags would lift the big block. Any insight? Johnny, good luck with the 59 build...it's gonna be cool. I just love X-frame cars....easy to bag too.....
bigcuzdave   +1y
Edited: 12/7/2009 9:26:27 AM by bigcuzdave64

02ramon20s   +1y
My camaro has a 500+ Cubic Inch Big Block,,, and i am running 1/2 valves and lines, Needless to say it work just fine, But when you lay it out, It drops fast and hard...LOL  I am wanting build a nasty 348 or 409 for the 61 impala. But im coming up empty handed. Its hard to find them.   ---------------------------------------------Originally posted by bigcuzdave64Trent, come on now, you weren't wanting that W-head motor were you?? Seriously, I have wanted to find a 348 and make it a 409 clone, stick it in the 64, and smoke the Hankooks. There's just something about opening the hood and seeing that odd looking big block........but I'm also not sure how the bags would lift the big block. Any insight? Johnny, good luck with the 59 build...it's gonna be cool. I just love X-frame cars....easy to bag too.....---------------------------------------------
JOHNNYBEGOOD   +1y

Thanks for asking about the 348 motor. I will be keeping the 348 in the corner of shop, till i get enough money up to rebuild. Right now i just have enough for the 350. I live from paycheck to paycheck. That's why I'm making a rat rod. I like the look of a rat rods. The car used to be dirting green. I had to sand it and put a grey primer on it, it looked alright. So far I like the look of the black.Hopefully it will look o.k. for a rat rod...For much money I have, I believe it will look good...The one thing that I learned is, "If you want it done, you do it yourself." Thanks guys
post photo