Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  darive shizzaft

darive shizzaft

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 342
replies 4
following 5

spicy   +1y
okay question for the wise one......what is the purpose of a 2pc driveshaft?????  in an ex cab truck ??? non bagged ...and bagged ...is it benefitial to run a 2pc shaft or better to use a 1pc ...or what would be the negatives (or positives if any) on running a 1pc shaft on a bagged ex cab truck instead of a 2pc with a carrier bearing????? open to any1's imput  but would love to here the real grand poobah's explanation 
SPICY   +1y
yes very interesting
post photo
Just_Robert   +1y

Curious as well...
AON-4PumpedCL   +1y

Not to put any words in Max's mouth, but I used a 2 piece on my vehicle so I could keep the driveshaft under the floor easier. 
TwistedMinis   +1y
There could be a lot of reasons. I will list a few that I know. Length is sometimes a concern. The longer a one piece shaft is, the larger it needs to be to stay in balance while spinning. So the size needs to be taken into concern. I have a driveshaft in the shop out of a 73 Versailles that is one piece and about 5.5 feet long. The diameter is 5.25" in the center. I've worked on trucks with a two piece shaft that equals out about the same length, and they use between 2.5" and 3" shafts, depending on the make. Like Aaron said sometimes floor space is the concern. With a two piece shaft you may not need to raise the floor in some areas. This is probably going to be more of a concern in SUV type vehicles, but in my old truck I was unable to run a bench seat at a comfortable height because of how high the drive line came up into the cab. Travel is also a concern. I worked on a Mazda a while back, and the guy wanted over 2 feet of travel. It had a 2-piece driveline, and because it was so short with the large amount of travel the driveline moved a lot. It went from one angle laid out, to an extreme angle at full lift, and it was tearing up carrier bearings. I ended up swapping it to a one piece when I did the bodydrop, and modifying the crossmembers and floor to make it work. It reduced the amount of angle the driveline saw at the U-joint, since I effectively added about 2 feet of length, and the angle the shaft sat at at full lift and full compression was less severe. This was on a standard cab truck however, and the driveline was swapped from an earlier model that came stock with a one piece shaft.  I've built a lot of drivelines, and the application seems to determine what type I will use most of the time. That's all I can think of right now, but I am sure there is more.
Page 1 of 1