threads
Page 1 of 2
Ask A Pro \  using stainless bolts for suspension?

using stainless bolts for suspension?

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 1075
replies 17
following 13

stockfloored93   +1y
are stainless bolts strong enough to use as 4 link bolts? or are there different grades of stainless bolts like there are with regular bolts? 
nryota   +1y

just rember that you have to use anti seeze on stainless hardware or that shit will lock up easily. hi tommy!!
Just_Robert   +1y

Negative IMO. Even 316 S/S is pretty weak. Stick with grade 8.
jeebus @ mmw   +1y

i agree also.  you probably wouldnt break one, but why take the risk. You can get your standard grade 8 bolts in a black finish also, that i think looks pretty good to get away from the gold zink plate..   Taylor
Thorracing01   +1y

where do you find the black finish bolts at?
leydbck   +1y
Edited: 10/31/2009 6:41:05 PM by leydbck

---------------------------------------------Originally posted by Thorracing01where do you find the black finish bolts at?--------------------------------------------- There is a True Value down the street from me. They have them. So do a few of the NAPA stores and I think Lowes even has some. Not sure of the ones at Lowes are Grade 8.I would say shop around localy or look online.
TwistedMinis   +1y
Try McMaster. I have gotten silver zinc bolts from them too that look pretty good. They where allen head bolts though, not sure if they make them in a hex head.
corey   +1y
The black ones are just phosphate and oil coated instead of zinc
stockfloored93   +1y
alright, guess ill scratch that idea then, ill probably just end up painting the ones i have.
corey   +1y
I actually thought about using a polishing wheel.  I'd have to get the info off of it at work but I believe its from 3m and fits a 8 inch bench grinder.  Sometimes machined surfaces get rust ect on them when left outside and its the best way to clean them up when it needs to be smooth.  With a little elbow grease it shines just about any metal.  I'd have to try it one day but I think a if you shined up a bolt real good and sprayed clear over it it would look pretty good, no chrome ect but still.