American Cars \  60 amp alt. and yellow top

60 amp alt. and yellow top

American Cars General Discussions
views 487
replies 5
following 4

dailydraggn   +1y
1970 cadillac sedan deville 472

so i thought my alternator was going bad so i swapped it with a new one and also replaced the voltage regulator. well come to find out it was running at low volts just like with the old alternator so i then decided to swap batteries. I had a brand new yellow top and tried a red top now.

the yellow top was losing volts pretty quick like the alternator wasnt charging and whatever the volts on the battery where it was the same on the back of the alternator.

the red top didnt loose volts as quick but while running went from 12.70-12.09 and thats after running it for a good 10 mins then i just turned it off.

now a friend with a 72 caddy runs a reg battery and my question it does anyone run 60 amp alternator with a red or yellow top without issue and would it be a good idea to just get a regular battery.?? 

seems to me like maybe the 60 amp alternator just cant hang with what the optimas are asking for to be charged and maybe a standard battery would be more feasible

thanks 

crux131   +1y
Edited: 9/21/2009 8:37:04 PM by crux131

What is your current demands?It is not if the 60 amp can hang with the battery, it is whether the alternator can keep up with the draw from the car and its accesories...unless the battery is bad. That said, I have had bad luck with an Optima red top and will not waste my money on another Optima product.My Redtop literally boiled with steam coming out of the top. I thought my alternator may have been the culprit( H.O. with about 250 amps cold rating ). I had the alternator checked and it was fine, so I replaced the Optima with a Wal-Mart generic replacement. Never had another problem. I do not have the link but there is a sight that sells Optima's with charging/rejuvenating tips. Something about them needing to be treated differently when recharging from dead than a standard battery. Maybe try a goole search for Optima charging tips?
gslif   +1y

I would recommend just getting your alternator rewound to i higher outpu. any decent alternator shop should be able to boost it up to 100A for around 125 bucks. im running a 160A alternator and a shuriken 1500cc dry cell battery and couldnt be happier. your car shoudl run at about 13.5V at all times
crux131   +1y

Does your car have an aftermarket stereo system( as in high current drawing system ) or adjustable suspension  with compressors. If not I do not know why a stock 60 amp wouldn't keep up. Your description makes it sound like the alternator is the problem. I would have the new one checked( as well as checking the external regulator. It could be installed incorrectly and not charging the battery??? I would also make sure you have a good ground connection between the motor and frame as well as the battery and frame.
dailydraggn   +1y
thanks guys it is bagged but right now i have all that disconnected to get this issue worked out and there is no stereo. the voltage regulator was replaced today right after i replaced alternator and ground have been checked one thing i need to check tomorrow is the to wires on the back to double check those are properly placed. i would like to get it modified to a little more amp but im trying to get it done by thursday and running out of time. i will update tomorrow on my findings. for shits and giggles im going to swap a standard battery outa the accord and see what happens and go from there
dailydraggn   +1y
well today i tried a standard battery and it was doing the same damn thing. So i went through all the wiring and come to find out the 2 wires on the back were crossed that lead to the volt regulator and that means my old alternator was prolly still good it was wired wrong on that one to,so i swapped the yellow top back in there for the weekend and well see how things go. thanks for the help guys
Page 1 of 1