threads
Page 1 of 2
Ask A Pro \  The Tacoma in your profile????

The Tacoma in your profile????

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 774
replies 14
following 7

xgolferdude   +1y
Edited: 9/2/2009 2:54:52 PM by xgolferdude

Hey Max,

I have a couple questions about the IRS setup on the Tacoma in your profile.  I noticed you went with a Supra,  It dosent look like you used the upper ball joint and you just built some arms with heims to connect to the hub instead??  Is that correct?  Im not all that familliar with the MK3 Supra's so I could be wrong... and is that the reason you mounted the brakes inboard? My question is....  Is there any particular reason you used the Supra IRS over lets say a Lincoln Mark8?  The reason I ask is I have access to both and my frame just got trashed on the way to the powdercoater!! yea!  lol  but now im gunna buuild another one but I think I would like to run an IRS.  Just looking at both subframes it looked like the Mark8 would be easier to make work since there really isnt a ball joint or any trailing arms.  Whats your view on this max?  This might get a little over my head but damnit I wanna learn!!!  lol  Thanks for your feedback Max!
BioMax   +1y

I don't like the suspension geometry on any factory IRS for adjustable use. I used the Supra because the 3rd member is quite small and offered the best packaging options. Yes the knuckle is just a modified Supra part, but you can easily use any number of things.  The reason I went with inboard brakes was for "cool factor" and because I was going to have to make brake mounts for the Wilwood parts anyhow.
loudciv   +1y

what ever happened to that truck? i dont think i've ever seen it since the lowlife feature.
xgolferdude   +1y

idk either but i love that truck!!!
lost cause   +1y
I saw it at FFF show n shine. it's fuckin sic as hell!!! Bio Max lol
xgolferdude   +1y

im telling ya!!!  Ive learned from him then he will ever know..  Its hard going to other sites and trying to learn when your kind of green...  and sometimes the books get alittle wordy but max helps dumb it down for folks like me!!!! so thanks max!!! You should have a class like ron covell does for metal working!! I'd sign up for em in a heart beat!!  BTW those are awesome fi you wanna learn to work with metal thats the ticket!!!
baggedmitsu   +1y

---------------------------------------------Originally posted by xgolferdudeidk either but i love that truck!!!---------------------------------------------that truck belongs to a guy in ST in nor cal. he still goes to a lot of shows.
xgolferdude   +1y

Hey max I got another question about that tacoma..  what did you do for the oil pan.  i was mocking up my 2rz mmotor in the older front clip and relized that im going to need a rear sump pan..  but i cant find one any where...  I wasnt going to go this route but my frame got trashed in an accident right before i was taking it to RA in memphis...  btw thanks for letting me eves drop on you when you were talking to mindless metalworks about there dually! hahahahaha.  thanks bud!
BioMax   +1y

Haha! You were listening huh? Where did you live again... I modified the oilpan and pickup tube to clear everything myself.
xgolferdude   +1y

i live in northwest arkansas...  I made the trek down there for the first time it was a great show...    the funny thing is i found out  how little i know about shock valving and the proper shock for the application!!!! lol   what exactly did you do to the pan and the pick up tube?  thanks again max!