threads
Page 1 of 3
Ask A Pro \  Mits Mighty Max Question- Help Max!!!

Mits Mighty Max Question- Help Max!!!

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 1827
replies 26
following 11

1LowMits94   +1y
Max i have a question man.  I know you're the man esp. with mighty max's and dealing with ernie's!  HAHA  I have a 94 mighty max bagged (NOT BODYDROPPED) and am having trouble with my front-end.  The tow-in is awful.  I have all factory parts (tie rods, control arms, etc.) that have been checked and reinstalled properly.  I have all new ball joints, etc.  when I lay the truck out the tires swing out big time and camber in.  The camber may not be something I can do much with.  Anyways, how do you guys bag these might max's and lay them out without the tires cambering in and the tow-in be great?  What can I do to get my truck to lay or be able to ride low without eating my tires up?  I'm only running 18's and you guys get your mighty max's to lay or be able to ride low on 20's with no camber & tow-in issues.  it's amazing how you guys do this!  with the front end all stock except bags & shocks--to get the alignment just right is this accomplished only by getting the front-end aligned by a shop properly or is it something you guys are doing?  i have pics of my front suspension to send to anyone that will Help me out.  Thanks man!        first pic the bags have no air, they're deflated, second pic bags are inflated, 3rd pic bags are deflated, 4th pic bags are inflated.  Please help! 

esterday is history! Tomorrow is a mystery! Today is a gift, that's why we call it the present! 
1LowMits94   +1y
Also, Max I'll get more pics of anything else if it will help.  I really need to get this figured out.  I have been eating the front tires up like crazy, thats why I'm currently not driving it.  I'd sure love to be driving it if I can just get this fixed! 
1LowMits94   +1y
the truck also has drop spindles
maz duh   +1y

Is your toe anywhere near spec at the half travel mark? Have you adjusted the tie rods since the addition of the spindles?  Pretty much all the drop spindles I have worked with required some serious adjustment on the tie rod to pull the toe back in after installation of the spindle. As far as getting an alignment you can get it set it at your drive height by an alignment shop. It is sometimes hard to find a shop that will touch a bagged truck so be patient, its worth the effort. Try other enthusiests or clubs in  your area and see who they use. I'm lucky myself because there is an alignment shop above mine and the owner is into modified cars.
bodydropped85   +1y

exactly. if you havnt had the alignment checked, do so now.
tre5   +1y

Haha, I didn't even think to ask him if he was aligned at ride height. I assumed he would have it straight at ride height, but I could easily have assumed wrong.
1LowMits94   +1y

Well, my wife's uncle straightened things up as much as possible himself and I'm supposed to get it aligned at ride heighth this coming friday at a local shop.  My concern is what should I tell the guys at the alignment shop....anything specific to make sure things are how I want them to be or just say I need a tow-in check or what?  With the alignment should that get my truck to be like all these others mitsu's that the tires stay pretty straight whether the bags are up or down?  That's what I'm going for.  Surely if guys are doing this with 20's and bigger then I can get this with my 18's.  Keep the info. coming guys....please.  To be honest, I'm a little nervous about my local shop aligning it.  I'm am the ONLY guy I know of within at least 50 miles of here that drives around an airbagged truck.  I'm not aware of anyone outside of 50 miles that does, I'm just assuming there's probably someone.   
1LowMits94   +1y

I realize that until I get it aligned then its not going to be perfect....I was just trying to see if there was something within the suspension that looked incorrect BEFORE getting it aligned.  I don't wanna get it aligned, roll out of the garage, lower the truck and then raise it back up to where i got it aligned and the tires be cambered out or the tow-in be way off.  I've heard of that happening to some guys before.  Anyone see any issues in the above pics of my truck?  I do wanna mention since the pics have been taken the passenger side next to the control arm has been tightened up ( you can see where its loose cause it used to have shims and due to there not being a lock washer on both bolts the shims fell out) and on the drivers side there are some shims and one of them are sticking up (you can see this in the pic) and that has been tightened up too. 
mindlissmetalfab   +1y

Your first step is going to be to have it aligned at ride height.
1LowMits94   +1y

---------------------------------------------Originally posted by 1LowMits94I realize that until I get it aligned then its not going to be perfect....I was just trying to see if there was something within the suspension that looked incorrect BEFORE getting it aligned.  I don't wanna get it aligned, roll out of the garage, lower the truck and then raise it back up to where i got it aligned and the tires be cambered out or the tow-in be way off.  I've heard of that happening to some guys before.  Anyone see any issues in the above pics of my truck?  I do wanna mention since the pics have been taken the passenger side next to the control arm has been tightened up ( you can see where its loose cause it used to have shims and due to there not being a lock washer on both bolts the shims fell out) and on the drivers side there are some shims and one of them are sticking up (you can see this in the pic) and that has been tightened up too.  ---------------------------------------------Read above homie!!!  LOL ... Like I said, alignment shops around here don't even see trucks with bags on them, much less align them. I live out in a small country city and when you mention air bags everyone thinks ur referring to the bags in the steerin wheel.  lol  Thats why Im wanting to know if there's something specific that I should tell the guy doing the alignment job.  Thanks for your posts, but please keep them coming.  If you were dealin with an alignment shop that hasn't lined up a bagged truck before, what would you tell them?  I would drive the truck to somewhere that has dealt with  bagged trucks but the tires are so bad they would eat up the tires more and they're honestly about shot now (and I don't wanna buy new ones till I get it aligned properly) or have it trailered there but i don't have access to a truck to haul with or a trailer to haul it on.