Page 2 of 3
Tools \  Looking into a Welder

Looking into a Welder

Tools Q & A
views 2080
replies 20
following 17

maz duh   +1y

I'm not a huge Lincoln fan myself either so I would suggest a Miller or Hobart (same company)  The Miller machine has some better internal parts over the Hobart but it's nothing to sweat. The Hobart Handler 187 is probably one of the best machines available for what you are looking to do. I have an older Handler 180 at my shop that we have run miles of wire thru over the years and I can't say enough good things about it. Watch for sales on them at TSC, they blow them out cheap sometimes with a gas regulator and a cart included. Good luck and happy welding.
prorida   +1y
I work at a Welding store, we sell lincoln esab and miller. Lincoln is a great brand, and a common misconception is they are made in china, well they make an industrial line as well as a standard line. you will find the cheaper models at home depot. But when you open the case you can spot the diferences...like a plastic drive roll. i would at least go to your local welding store, and see what they sell.. because they will carry all the consumibles for what brands they sell. they may even have some used models. But if your gonna do frame work you need a 220 volt. because chamfering, doing a double pass, and useing a flux, just to weld 1/4" gusets with a 110, is quite cumbersome. REMEMBER to look at your amperage range because thats whats important. good luck to you buddy
TwistedMinis   +1y
Edited: 6/14/2009 1:16:27 PM by TwistedMinis

I had a long bitter experience with Miller, so I went with Lincoln when I replaced it.  I look at Miller vs. Lincoln like Chevy vs. Ford. And I'm a Ford guy too. Some guys will hate you for it. The best thing you can do is buy something that is supported locally, so that you can get consumables and parts for it. Lincoln is big at 2 out of 3 stores close to me, so it's easy. My Lincoln says "Proudly made in America" on one side, and "The Official Brand of NASCAR" on the other.
greenranger 23   +1y

i have the hobart 187 i love it. good all around welder for the price
bigjon   +1y
I got a miller 210 and I LOVE IT!  I started with a miller 135 and it got the job done, but not like the 210  not to mention when you don't have your machine maxed out your welds turn out a little nicer!
AiredOut   +1y

Ive always been a lincoln man myself, but i recently purchased this for work:   Snap on 250sl.  I love it so much, i brought it to the house instead of work.  Great for anything from sheet metal to heavy metal welding.  Its a mig and a tig, so i figured that into the cost of the machine when buying it.  Ive used a bunch of different welders, and by far, this is my favorite.  
post photo
post photo
artsar   +1y

I went to a store by my house and a Hobart 187 (the 220V) is $1000 Canadian, so like $890 American. Is this a good deal or not? Its about a 30% discount from their catalog price because of my work.
mike86mazda   +1y

I own a lincoln electric power mig 180c awesome welder  Ilove it and  have never had any problems with it. It was very reasonably priced and works great for anything from 20guage sheet to 5/16. good luck with your purchase!
artsar   +1y

The welder I think I'll be getting is a Lincoln 180. When they go on sale at my friends work I can get it for $450CAD+tax ($395USD) or I could buy it tomorrow for $580CAD+tax ($510US). For the price this is probobly the best welder I can get. Thanks for everyones input
SoloSpecialties   +1y

---------------------------------------------Originally posted by artsarI went to a store by my house and a Hobart 187 (the 220V) is $1000 Canadian, so like $890 American. Is this a good deal or not? Its about a 30% discount from their catalog price because of my work. ---------------------------------------------damn. i paid $860 after taxes for my 187. that was nearly 3 yrs ago.