Page 1 of 3
Tools \  Looking into a Welder

Looking into a Welder

Tools Q & A
views 2054
replies 20
following 17

artsar   +1y
I looked through the tools section but maybe I missed it. I'm looking to get a good all around welder. Something that can handle frame and sheet metal work. I'd like to get a dually some time soon so I'd like the welder to handle frame work on that (I'm assuming that the guage on the frame is thicker then a 1/2 ton). I have some experience, but not much (maybe 2 hours) welding.

What would be a nice all around welder thats still cost effective?
FADE2BLK94   +1y
Good all around is a smaller size 220v model i.e. Lincoln 180, Hobart 180, or Miller 180. If you want to keep it on the cheaper level and be able to do just about anything with it. All of them great welders if you are not trying to run a shop where you are welding all day with it on heavy gauge steel.
SoloSpecialties   +1y

im a hobart man myself. i have a handler 187(220V) and it'll 5/16...which is WAY thicker then anything needed on a truck,even a dually. i have been using it for about 2 and a half years,with no problems(minus replacing gun). its done backhalfs,full frames,sheetmetal work,heavy trailer repair,TRAILER HOUSE repair haha. i put this bitch thru hell and couldnt be more satisfied for what i paid. the new model is also very nice,the handle 210..im thinkin of upgrading and sellin my 187 to my buddy since he wants it lol.
FADE2BLK94   +1y
---------------------------------------------Originally posted by SoloSpecialtiesim a hobart man myself. i have a handler 187(220V) and it'll 5/16...which is WAY thicker then anything needed on a truck,even a dually. i have been using it for about 2 and a half years,with no problems(minus replacing gun). its done backhalfs,full frames,sheetmetal work,heavy trailer repair,TRAILER HOUSE repair haha. i put this bitch thru hell and couldnt be more satisfied for what i paid. the new model is also very nice,the handle 210..im thinkin of upgrading and sellin my 187 to my buddy since he wants it lol.--------------------------------------------- Yep those are badass too! I was originally going to buy a fullsize Hobart Ironman 210 for $1059  but ended up buying a linclon pro-mig 175 with the cart for $597, and I have no complaints except it doesnt like to feed larger wire. After I bought my 175 they released the handler 210 and I kind of wished I had waited for one of those but my Lincoln teats me right! plus I am partial to lincolns anyway. But the Hobarts and  Millers I have used are excellent welders as well.
bill brasky   +1y
---------------------------------------------Originally posted by SoloSpecialtiesim a hobart man myself. i have a handler 187(220V) and it'll 5/16...which is WAY thicker then anything needed on a truck,even a dually. i have been using it for about 2 and a half years,with no problems(minus replacing gun). its done backhalfs,full frames,sheetmetal work,heavy trailer repair,TRAILER HOUSE repair haha. i put this bitch thru hell and couldnt be more satisfied for what i paid. the new model is also very nice,the handle 210..im thinkin of upgrading and sellin my 187 to my buddy since he wants it lol.--------------------------------------------- This is what I have by far the best welder ever. I am doing a fire wall back  right now with 2x4 1/4 wall. Got it cranked with 35 wire with great penetration. Cant beat it .
TwistedMinis   +1y
Lincoln.
sadisticiron   +1y

lincoln sucks they are partially made in china. when a lincoln breaks they take longer to repair because the parts are not stocked and they have to come from china, if its a special order part. miller is the way to go better consumables. the consumbles are always in stock at any welding store. parts are very easily avalible because they are made in the U.S.. miller has a better warranty for problems and they can fix them within a few days. all around a better machine made to last.  i have s buddy thats a manager for a welding store he sees what comes back and knows which machine takes for ever to repair if need be. all of my miller machine have been in service for more then 7 years. my tig had a problem with the mother board recently and was fixed in a few days. alll in all, buy a miller and save yourself a headache. the best mig welder for the money is a miller 210 220v/110v. the best plasma is a 375 220v/110v. thats my two cents as a starter looking for good all around machines.
framescr8pintoy   +1y
buy the biggest you can afford. but definately miller, every lincoln i have ever used i never liked it. but every miller i used i never had any problems with.
artsar   +1y
Edited: 6/14/2009 10:53:18 AM by artsar

so a Millermatic 180? http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p003461.htm is that the one you guys are talking about? Also money isn't a huge issue... I've always believed its better to wait an extra month to save the extra cash to get the right stuff the first time. Learned that lesson the hard way.
Wicked Fantacies   +1y

I say go for the millermatic 180.  It will get the job done for your needs.