Page 1 of 1
Sport Compact General \  california state smog laws

california state smog laws

Sport Compact General General Discussions
views 1249
replies 6
following 6

wez   +1y
ok time for a legal question... i know in cali when you sell a car you are responsable for smog.... is there to go about not being liable for this? let me explain more my mitsue is busted... im selling it cheep because it is broke and i need money to pay for school... i never had it smoged in california... im not sure if it will pass or not but because it is broke i can not run it down to the shop and have it smoged.... how do i get around this little bug so that the buyer will be responsable for it if and when he gets it running.... thanks for the legal advise...

wes
TwistedMinis   +1y
Best bet would be to non-op it right now ($10-15). Then when trying to sell it, state that there is something wrong with it, it's registered Non-Op, you are selling the vehicle "As-Is" and that the buyer will be responsible for acquiring a smog certificate. Then the buyer can keep it on Non-Op and get some extra time to fix it without penalties that come from not registering the car immediately. They will not issue new tags or current registration until it is smogged though, and it shouldn't be driven in Non-Op.
TwistedMinis   +1y
Actually now that I think about it, you can probably sell it As-Is without the PNO, and make sure he knows it needs smog. Then if he registers it before getting a certificate, he just won't get tags until he smogs the vehicle.
wez   +1y

i thought of this but this guy called me today and said that no matter what the seller is responsable for the smog and that i could be hel liable and sued.... that dosent sound like fun is there any legal "percations" i could take to keep this from happening?
project94   +1y

go talk to dmv
ScojoDak   +1y
Edited: 5/10/2009 2:29:39 AM by ScojoDak

---> Cali Smog Laws FAQ's
simple-pleasurez   +1y
fuck it i'll give you 50 bucks and just sell it as is and on bill of sale write it is not running and i need to smog
Page 1 of 1