threads
Page 1 of 2
Tools \  Alternative to flap disc's.....

Alternative to flap disc's.....

Tools Q & A
views 2326
replies 13
following 13

thacru78   +1y
Is there an alternative to flap disc grinding wheels.....something that gives you the same effect but doesn't cost $8 a pop.....I just cleaned a drawer out that had about 30 used flap disc in it.....after thinking about how much money was spent on them....it kinda made me sick. Anything cheaer out there.

kaoss   +1y
I have enjoyed my $15 wire wheel. Obviously it wont grind metal down, but it will clean it pretty good. There is also a Roloc type adapter that I have seen at either Lowes or Home Depot that you can use roloc style disks on your grinder.   I also have smeared peanut butter on the material and picked up a hooker to lick it off, very effective also.

mindlissmetalfab   +1y
walter makes sanding discs that are about $1 each. you just need the backing pad that fits the grinder. They dont last quite as long, but they are alot cheaper. they also wont 'dig' as much.  
slammedcivicsi   +1y
--------------------------------------------- Originally posted by iLLblazer walter makes sanding discs that are about $1 each. you just need the backing pad that fits the grinder. They dont last quite as long, but they are alot cheaper. they also wont 'dig' as much.   ---------------------------------------------   The only problem I have with those discs, is that they curl overtime. So if you have about 5-10 in the tool box, any moisture will make them curl over....then I find they snag on edges, and tear.   -Brad
thacru78   +1y

My second question would be where do i find them....i've looked at Lowe's and Home Depot and could't find anything that seemed like it would work the same. Thanks for the help guys....these days every $1 i can save is a good one.

mindlissmetalfab   +1y
Edited: 2/25/2009 9:58:27 AM by iLLblazer

I'm not sure what you have for industrial supply places there but I either get mine from the weld supply place or from acklands.  I just replied to your email jerry.
jdauer02   +1y
--------------------------------------------- Originally posted by slammedcivicsi --------------------------------------------- Originally posted by iLLblazer walter makes sanding discs that are about $1 each. you just need the backing pad that fits the grinder. They dont last quite as long, but they are alot cheaper. they also wont 'dig' as much.   ---------------------------------------------   The only problem I have with those discs, is that they curl overtime. So if you have about 5-10 in the tool box, any moisture will make them curl over....then I find they snag on edges, and tear.   -Brad --------------------------------------------- use a blank CD holder, the horizontal cases that blanks come in, slide the discs onto it like a cd then put a larger grinding disc on top to weight them down, this will help with curling.... stole that idea from Taylor...MMW

tre5   +1y
I use these...   http://www.aaabrasives.com/products/walter/walter_sanding_discs/walter_topcut_steel_stainless_and_aluminum   I put them on my 4 1/2" grinder, back to back. When one starts wearing out, just flip it over. Running them back to back makes it firmer. If you dont, it will be too flimsy. Plus you can lift into positions sometimes as well.

sadisticiron   +1y

use a grinding wheel first then a flapper wheel. using a flapper wheel to cut alot of material creates alot of heat anyways. i can build an entire truck with 2 flapper wheels using this method and thats with a buddy at a welding store giving them to me for about 2 bucks each.

stockfloored93   +1y
i like to use a grinder with a stone first and then finish with the 36 grit roloc discs with a die grinder comes out pretty good i think.