Page 2 of 3
Tools \  Cleco pin sets

Cleco pin sets

Tools Q & A
views 1772
replies 22
following 15

unusualfabrication   +1y
I know this is a general question but how many do you typically use at once? What about used pins? I see on www.yardstore.com they offer packs of 100 for $25, are these ok or should I just buy new?
c10onfire   +1y
well depending on the size project I'm working on dictates how many I use. I can't compare an airplane to a car quarter panel, but I use anywhere from 15 to 75. I own about 200 of various sizes. And all of my clecos I bought used. It's just a spring inside a cylinder. They're not gonna sell broken ones, but I've had great experience with The Yard. If you get a broken one, they'll replace it. Nothing wrong with used clecos.
standardbyker88   +1y
ive used them before, and i love them. 1/8 is pretty common since the bits are pretty common and cheap as well. and not much to weld up.
KEEF   +1y
Speedway motors sells kits too but ive looked at the Yard place they are talking about and i think im gonna be ordering some more tools there soon.
SinkinNoma   +1y
I used clecos all the time when i was working on the top fuelers, and like stated before used ones are fine thats what i used and never a prob!
suthrn98   +1y
yeah. use the 1/8's. I am a sheetmetal mechanic also, and I use all different sizes. I would suggest about 100. You are gonna lose some, and you can't ever have enough. They work awesome.
framedranger   +1y
Ya these are great to have I use them all the time at work when fabricating and resistant welding
corey0814   +1y
Originally posted by UnusualFabrication

I know this is a general question but how many do you typically use at once? What about used pins? I see on www.yardstore.com they offer packs of 100 for $25, are these ok or should I just buy new?

it really depends on the panel, but on the chevelle i'm doing now, there's about 30 or so. i only put them every 4-6", just enough to hold it up (except for one spot they're about every inch at the bottom aft behind where the bumper is). best way to explain how many you'd need for a particular panel, would be that you'll put a cleco everywhere you'd normally put a sheet metal screw to hold the panel on, then just use your hole puncher & plug weld it in between, then remove the clecos & tack weld the drill holes.

they are definately an excellent purchase that won't disappoint you! especially the prices at that yard store!!! 100 used ones for $25 & the pliars for $4.95!!! that's even better than summit. 3/16" are the larger ones, but at that price, i'd go for it...nothing wrong with used

unusualfabrication   +1y
Well I ended up ordering from "The Yard Store", (thanks for the link Chris!) the prices were to good to pass up. I got a used bag of 100 3/16" clecos and the pliers for less than $30 bucks plus $10 shipping. 100 clecos should do everything I need them to but if I need more i'll definitely go back there for the prices. I am building a 1953 Chevy 210 two door post that needs all new floor boards and rear quarters so these will come in handy. I'll also be using them to build the new sheetmetal dash in my Nissan. When they get here i'll take a look at them and give you guys some feedback on the place.
unusualfabrication   +1y
Edited: 1/8/2009 3:19:24 AM by UnusualFabrication

I finally got them in the mail today and all looks good. Nicely packaged, everything accounted for, and they even sent me a catalog with all kinds of other neat stuff in it. I would recommend the "Yard Store" for the prices alone.