Page 1 of 2
Interior \  make your own seats?

make your own seats?

Interior Q & A
views 979
replies 19
following 17

bcrunk   +1y
how hard is it to recover your own seats? the foam and stuff on my seats is fine, but the covers HAVE to GO! i already know what i want it to look like... so do i just take the old ones off and turn em inside out and copy the pattern to new fabric?
no1lowr   +1y
its a lot of work, the french stitch and color/material combo is crucial to the look when your done, i would take em to a shop and the expertise of a great interior seamstress with show through, but if you wanna give it a go, look at upholstery, and see where its sticthed together at, and everything is made in panels for contour, then all sewn together as a cover, then slid over the foam and seat skeleton. good luck!
bodydropped85   +1y
if u can find premade covers, there not that hard to put on.
severedmikey   +1y
Way back in the day my friend took his seats apart in his mazda and made some patterns off his original covers like your saying. his mom helped him sew them up out of tweed. he made some pretty good lookin seat covers, they didnt look 100% professional but they looked really good for what they cost him.
dakotamike   +1y
i talked to a guy about just making your own the hard part about that is usually the material is streched out and will be loose if you trace out what came off
bcrunk   +1y
well the ones i want to do are gonna be some type of black cloth and a pinstripe section in the middle and possibly the headrest. my mom knows how to sew and all that, so i might be able to get her to hook me up. my only real issue is once i put in the new headliner and carpet... im worried if the blacks will match?
bcrunk   +1y
any suggestions on fabric? i dont want tweed and im not sure how hard suede is to clean.
e10pvmt   +1y
for the seats in the taco i just pulled apart the integra seats i got, traced the patterns and cut duplicates out of tweed and vinyl depending on the pattern i wanted....i also reused the backs since i was in a pinch....we also reused the plastic strips that the hog rings attach to and restitched those in and re hog ringed it in...worked great...only thing i wish we would have done is made new backs....my moms loves to sew and this was a new realm for her and she loved it....broke a shit ton of needles since her machine wasnt built for the this type of work....but her new one is
bcrunk   +1y
what exactly do the hogrings do?
e10pvmt   +1y
the seat has a metal frame that runs throughout the foam....if you look at a seat you will see the ribs or valleys in the seat....kind of a design of sorts.....they tighten down the material to create these valleys