Page 2 of 2
Tools \  sheetmetal brake

sheetmetal brake

Tools Q & A
views 872
replies 14
following 11

unusualfabrication   +1y
Grip did you make the one that Seth posted above? I have had those prints on my hard drive for a long time but was never sure if I wanted to apply the time to machine all the parts for it. With what I have at work I could built it for little to nothing.
standardbyker88   +1y
idea ive had for a while, take a length of exhaust tubing and make a slot down the length and slip it over the dies, or in place of, on a brake to make curved edges not sharp. like for making a rollpan for a truck that isnt available. like my ramcharger. has anybody tried this idea?
pimptruckman92   +1y
Edited: 2/12/2008 12:31:52 AM by pimptruckman92

joe smith

i used a peice of pipe with 1/4" thick wall to make a one peice tailgate skin rollpan combo on a flat metal table. i dont have any pics but it if you try be sure to do a test peice of metal and measure, measure, measure. i saw something like your talking about pipe with a slit. the one i saw was extruded aluminum with several slots in it. check ebay for the aluminum peice only problem would be deflection, but only if it was thicker sheet.

there are sheetmetal break plans on millerwelds.com under thier projects page. also listed are welding table plans, and several others worth looking at.
standardbyker88   +1y
i could probably make it work. even if i had to just hammer and dolly it over between two stands. brake seems like a nice even way though. thanks.
awj81   +1y
On the second set of plans that Seth posted, does anyone have an idea of what gauge thickness it will bend up to. I like that brake and looks easy enough to build.