Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  x member thickness

x member thickness

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 196
replies 4
following 3

waynehammer   +1y
can i use 1/8 inch 2x2 to mount mt wishbone to? i have some and dont wanna break the bank buying bore 1/4 inch 2x2
marcus760   +1y
i would use the the 1/4, better to break the bank than being stranded somewhere plus its just safer to use 1/4 inch 2x2
waynehammer   +1y
Originally posted by marcus760

i would use the the 1/4, better to break the bank than being stranded somewhere plus its just safer to use 1/4 inch 2x2

i totaly agree that 1/4 is a lot safer, just didnt know if the 1/8 would hold up
BioMax   +1y
WOW! 2x2x.250 is some really heavy duty stuff!

You can use .065 wall if you do it right. The trick to support the tube where the stresses are applied. Don't run a crossmember across a 48" span and then attach a link-bar to the middle of it. Use 2 smaller tubes to support the crossmember at or as near to the stress point as possible.

If you notice how I supported the .120 wall cossmember in the pic below, you can get a better idea of what I am talking about.

post photo
waynehammer   +1y
thanks alot. i figured i wouldnt have a prob with it. but just needed to know if someone has done it and how it held up. and i didnt plan on just running it straight across with no supports. thanks..
Page 1 of 1