Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  questions about jigs

questions about jigs

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 163
replies 7
following 6

bodydropped72   +1y
im building control arms for a project ive jigged them up my problem is i can find "slugs" to fit inside the tubing im using for the bushings and the same for the uniballs. it wouldnt be a problem if i had a lathe i could just turn the "slug" down to make it fit but i dont have one what do you recommend ive included a couple pics of what i got goin on

unusualfabrication   +1y
Any machine shop in the area should be able to turn a piece down for a slip fit and drill a hole through it for clearance. I'm assuming that you are looking for something that takes the place of your bushings so that you can weld it all together without melting them. I can make them for you, with your measurements, but like I said before you can probably get them machined somewhere around there.
bodydropped72   +1y
would it be worth it? i do plan on makin a couple more sets for friends. just curious what would you charge. the inserts i would need for bushings would need to be just shy of 1.5 inches im usings 2 inch dom with .250 wall. and for the uniball its 1 5/8 i.d
unusualfabrication   +1y
"would it be worth it?" Well thats for you to decide, i'm not sure what your intensions for this jig are. I would need to know exactly what you want and how many. It looks like you will need four metal bushings (left and right for each side) to replace the poly bushings and two metal bushings (top and bottom) to replace the uniball. Does this sound correct?
unusualfabrication   +1y
Sorry to hi-jack ya Max.
bodydropped72   +1y
actually 2 metal bushing to replace the polys and 1 for the uniball.making the jig symettrical...
unusualfabrication   +1y
Are those poly bushings one piece or two piece? I make mine so they resemble the poly bushings. You could make one long one for each side, putting the lip on the inside and using a washer and bolt to hold everything together. As far as the uniball bushing goes, I guess you could do the same with it. I like to "clamshell" all mine together so that way I can insure that theres as little movement as possible while welding.
BioMax   +1y
Originally posted by UnusualFabrication

Sorry to hi-jack ya Max.

No problem man, you got this...
Page 1 of 1