threads
Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  2x4 frame under a large SUV and towing?

2x4 frame under a large SUV and towing?

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 272
replies 5
following 6

AON-4PumpedCL   +1y
Edited: 12/1/2007 1:54:32 PM by AON-4PumpedCL

Hello Max,I have a Nissan Armada and I'm debating different techniques to get the body on the ground. I already spoke with you about spindles and hope to hit you up for some of those soon. Anyhow, I had another concern.

Option 1 is a traditional bodydrop. This would work well, but I really don't want to raise the floor.

Option 2 is to channel it. This would also work well, but I think I'd have to do about a 2.5" channel and I think it will make my floor look strange.

Option 3 is to replace the back 2/3's of the frame with 2x4 box tubing. I think this would work well, but I'm concerned about strength. I would still like to use this to tow a boat, car trailer, etc. Have you had any experience with a 2x4 frame under a large SUV or truck and still used it for towing?

I appreciate the input.

-Aaron
www.artofnoize.com
creative concepts   +1y
i'm not max, but there are plenty of full sizes out there towing with 2x4x.250 frame rails. You should be fine with this. It is all about how you build it. You can put acouple of tubular x's under the body if you want to help stiffen it up.
bdroppeddak   +1y
i pulled a car trailer abit with my truck with 2x4 3/16", i dont know why people get scared of a car trailer or small/mid sized trailer, there isnt alot of load applied to the truck.... look at some of your smaller hitch receivers, they rely on the shear load of a couple 1/2" bolts...
BioMax   +1y
I'm with these guys... There isn't any reason that 2x4x.188 or .250 wouldn't live. I would be sure to have one big "X" member in it tho, they really add a lot of stiffness to the chassis.
974door   +1y
Don't forget about rear bag placment. That too plays a big part in towing.
bodydropped72   +1y
im not sure about armada frames but on my titan there is a portion off the frame under the extended cab area that goes all the way back until the frame kicks up that hangs down. on my truck i cut that off so the frame is even all the way back from the front body mount back then i z'ed the frame to make it lay even. i only needed to channel mine 1 inch to make the fenders lay if you wanna go to the pinch youll runn into your fenders being pushed out uness you modify them
Page 1 of 1