Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  notch material

notch material

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 213
replies 5
following 6

JFcustoms   +1y
Is 2x2x.125 wall strong enough for a notch on a 95 fullsize chev truck? I thought i remember you saying it was plenty strong in a post about guys gusseting 1/4". Also i wanna weeny out and just do a 2 link, could i also use the .120 wall for the link bars or since it twists so much should i do 1/4"? Thanks
thacru78   +1y
I wouldn't use the 2x2x.125 for my notch or my link bars. For a 2-link I would use 2x2x1/4. A 2-link setup puts alot of stress on the bars, compared to a standard 4-link. As for a notch, if you are using tubing I would use atleast 2x4x3/16 same with a 8 piece notch. Atleast 3/16. On a fullsize I use 1/4 just incase they want to tow. Good luck man.
fuller   +1y
2x3x.25 for notches and 2x2x.25 for bars
BioMax   +1y
I don't remember saying that 2x2x.120 tubing would be plenty on a notch. On a full sze I would run a minimum of 2x4x.120 but would suggest runing a heavier wall if you plan on towing aything or using the bed for anything heavy. 1/4 wall is a bit overkill, but can keep you out of trouble. On a 2-link you need to build everything oversized because of the extra stresses involved. If you have not yet started the project, don't 2-link it. Why waste your time?
mindlissmetalfab   +1y
Cuz like he said, he wants to 'weeny out'.
slammedcivicsi   +1y
I'd personally use 2x3 or 2x4 .120 wall, based on the current frame size, it should be pretty good, 1/4" seems pretty overkill. And for link bars, go with the 2x3, but If your needing to go purchase bushings, just buy a few more. You can get engergy suspension or moog ones from napa or something for under $10 ea.....so you can build a low budget 4 link fairly easily, or atleast 3 link it. I dont want to start the 2-3-4-5-6 link debate all over again. But personally for reliability, I would go with a 3 link, atleast that way you wont have to re-locate your gas tank.

-Brad
Page 1 of 1