Page 2 of 3
Tools \  welding mask

welding mask

Tools Q & A
views 1184
replies 21
following 20

nryota   +1y
^^ only seen the cheaper ones do that. i have a miller elite now, ran me almost 4oo bucks and i have never had a prob with it. use it for work and play all day long. i always say you get what ya pay for.

bdroppeddak   +1y
me and my boss have the miller elites, i got this years model, he got last years, i think we got the hook up at like 225 bucks, but they arent that good, they arent heavy and have a decent sized lens, but sometimes if they sit for alittle bit you have to push the reset button or they wont work.... and the batterys dont last but about 4 months of work... and they cost like 12 dollars each and you need 2.... at the start of the year i'll prolly get a different brand so i dont end up with cataracts from the helmet not activating... we had some green ones that used solar power (from the weld arc) but the lens was small.... but they always worked... i'll say a good auto darkening helmet is the next best thing to a good welding machine if you weld for a living....
nryota   +1y
yeah i have the same bettery probs, i like that they are light though, i use mine all the time with work and shit.

maz duh   +1y
I have the Hobart Hood as well and I really like it. Its not heavy so its easy on the neck. The viewing window isn't huge but I don't mind it. You just have to remember to hit the on button if it has sat for more than 15 min because it times off. Aside from the ocasional flash from forgeting to turn it on its great. The price was right too.
dragn168   +1y
i have 3 i use at work two auto darking and one regular flip down ones a hobart hood which works great but has a small window the other i cant remember the name but has a giant window and i abosolutly love except for the occasional flicker after 4 or 5 hours of welding i know since they are cheaper helmets and not as fast as the pricier ones but at the end of a long day welding my eyes will be a little itchy kinda sucks but i hardly spend that many days welding that much
nvstacoma   +1y
I have a speedglas 9002v it works great i use it every day 9-13 shades good on batteries and i have never had a problem with it runs a bout 260 bucks
ahab   +1y
I have a lincoln helmet from home depot. Its not heavy and its solor powered so you dont have to put batteries in it. I love it.
granth   +1y
Originally posted by TwistedMinis

I guess I'm just stubborn or something, but I don't like auto-darkening helmets. I grew up with the older style, paper helmets. They run about $40 for a big lens mask and are rebuildable. I never liked the weight of the auto helmets.

will probably pick up a manual hood as well a little later. especially if i dont like the speedglas i ordered.
lunatiksblazer   +1y
at the shop we have a snap-on, and a harbor freight one....sounds dumb but i love the harbor one it cost 40 bucks decent window size, auto-dark, solar power, and the adjustment know is on the side of the hood so can just reach up and turn it.
lunatiksblazer   +1y
this is actually the mask, it went up 10 bucks sorry

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91214