Page 2 of 2
Tools \  Shop compressor

Shop compressor

Tools Q & A
views 600
replies 18
following 15

corey0814   +1y
i could be wrong, but i believe the Husky (campbell hausfield) that home depot has is better.

i saw in another thread that you're considering getting into bodywork, so i'd definately suggest at least a 60 gallon. 80 would be your best bet, but you can get away with a 60. when i used to have the 60, the only time i'd get pissed at it was whenever i'd use my cutoff wheel, air file, or air hog (9"DA). those tools use a lot of air & it sucks having to sit there & wait for it to build back up.

don't ever go with too small of a compressor because not long after you get it, you'll need the bigger one & you'll be pissed you didn't just spend the few extra bucks. i bought my 60 for like $450 & was only able to sell it for $250. then i got my 80 for about a grand (plus the 200 i lost on the 60)

good luck...

pimptruckman92   +1y
im looking into an Ingersoll-Rand 80 gallon 2 stage (230 volt single phase) vertical compressor on the NORTHERNTOOL.com website. runs a little under $2000. free shipping and the ingersoll rand are supposed to have a 10,000hours problem free rating for running time. thats the equivilent to running constantly for over a year 24/7, 416 days! thats some punishment.
danshoods   +1y
I have the IR T-30, had it for 10 years runs as good today as the day I got it.
It's a 7.5 horse power, I can run a 7 in. grinder 8 in. air hog, DA sander no problem, the only thing that will draw it down is my sand blaster.
I think I paid about 2 grand, worth every cent.
Those other little ones are ok to put in the back of your garage to pump up your kids bike tires, but if your serious about doing a good bit of bodywork go Ingersoll- rand
Fraynlame   +1y
guess im a little spoiled, i've got me an Atlas copco ga5, awesome machine picked it up from a local plant closing auction. way overkill, but when i move to a bigger shop ill need the air.
not really practical for home use..
pimptruckman92   +1y
i went to home depot the other day and was looking around at compressors, thier Husky Brand 80 gallon 2 stage 5 HP
grip   +1y
I think most of them are made in the same factory in china so I wouldn't worry to much about the name.The only ones that scare me are the dry cylinder compressors.
dan48p   +1y
i have a 80 gallon porter cable and i can run the pressure down pretty low with my palm sander. 2 da's and it runs at about 70 psi... i think it is the smallest compressor that one would want for doing any kind of bodywork.

it does just fine when spraying paint. plenty of air.

it is this model http://www.absolutehome.com/web/catalog/product_detail.aspx?pid=82122&cm_ven=Froogle&cm_cat=Tools&cm_pla=Porter-Cable&cm_ite=Porter-Cable-Air%20Tools-Compressors-82122&cid=1EB6D79063EBBE54967C7EF8BCF9DCBB
phatedscustoms   +1y
i've got a 60gal craftsman and it does a pretty good job on everything except a d.a. sander. i just aquired a god knows how many gallon compressor with what looks like a honda civic motor on top of it so things should be good with it.
FreelandKustomz   +1y
that kobalt is only a 3.5 hp. I have a 30 gallon Snap on compressor with a 5 hp motor and da's and long boards kill my air and doesnt recover