Page 1 of 2
Tools \  Shop compressor

Shop compressor

Tools Q & A
views 598
replies 18
following 15

twistedsdime   +1y
I am in the market for a air compressor and tank right now. Whats a good size and brand. Craftsman has a sell right now on their 80th anniversary 17gallon compressors for $200. Is this a pretty good buy? Any help would be apreciated.
dragyours2001   +1y
Edited: 11/25/2007 6:36:40 PM by Whitejones

It depends on what you want it for. I you ever plan on spraying paint primer, you might need a compressor that puts out more cfm. I think most guns require more cfm then that compressor will put out. I have been told to look for one that will do about 10 cfm at 40psi.

If you go on sears website and look at the tech specs of each compressor it will give you cfm at 90 psi and at 40 psi
dragyours2001   +1y
And if you go on the site you can look at different air tools that you might use and it will tell the required cfm at a certain psi as well so you can judge what compressor you need
bdroppeddak   +1y
those small ones are great for airing your tires up and being noisy....
danshoods   +1y
IF YOUR DOING BODY WORK FORGET SEARS THERE COMPRESSORS ARE TOO SMALL.
I LOOKED AT COMPRESSORS FOR MONTHS BEFOR I GOT MINE.
YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF GOING TO HOME DEPOT OR LOWES,THEY HAVE A CHART WITH THE KIND OF TOOLS YOU CAN RUN WITH WHAT COMPRESSOR.
IF YOUR GOING TO RUN DA SANDERS,GRINDERS,BUFFERS AND SUCH I WOULD RECCOMEND THE PUMP WITH THE HIGHEST CFM @ 90 PSI.
GOOD LUCK
danshoods   +1y
IF YOUR DOING BODY WORK FORGET SEARS THERE COMPRESSORS ARE TOO SMALL.
I LOOKED AT COMPRESSORS FOR MONTHS BEFOR I GOT MINE.
YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF GOING TO HOME DEPOT OR LOWES,THEY HAVE A CHART WITH THE KIND OF TOOLS YOU CAN RUN WITH WHAT COMPRESSOR.
IF YOUR GOING TO RUN DA SANDERS,GRINDERS,BUFFERS AND SUCH I WOULD RECCOMEND THE PUMP WITH THE HIGHEST CFM @ 90 PSI.
GOOD LUCK
twistedsdime   +1y
Are those 60 and 80 gallon compressors really necessary just for an individual? I'm not going to be doing any major work. Are the air tools that much nicer then power tools?
twistedsdime   +1y
I was looking at the lowes website and came across a 60 gallon compressor. Here are some of the details. Its a Kobalt. Seems like a pretty good deal for $400
13.4 SCFM @ 40 PSI
11.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI
155 maximum PSI
3.7 running HP
Cast-iron, oil-lubricated, belt-drive pump
Heavy-duty induction motor
3-year limited warranty
Quiet-running 76dB sound level
dragyours2001   +1y
Edited: 11/25/2007 7:59:45 PM by Whitejones

Originally posted by twistedsdime

I was looking at the lowes website and came across a 60 gallon compressor. Here are some of the details. Its a Kobalt. Seems like a pretty good deal for $40013.4 SCFM @ 40 PSI11.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI155 maximum PSI3.7 running HPCast-iron, oil-lubricated, belt-drive pumpHeavy-duty induction motor3-year limited warrantyQuiet-running 76dB sound level

sounds like a good deal. Just remember it is a 240v not a 115v, some people dont have access to 240
wickedinsides   +1y
i have the 80 gallon version of above and its 14 cfm at 90 and 16 at 40 and its great. runs smooth its a standup and doesnt take much room... the only downfall is i had to rig up 240v.