Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  Welding on a toyota Pumpkin

Welding on a toyota Pumpkin

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 195
replies 6
following 7

FluffyFreak   +1y
whats the good word Max in the next couple months i plan on 4-linkin my 86 toyita and im wondering if im better off building a bridge over my pumpkin to mount my triangulated linkbars or if its ok to go ahead and weld the tabs striaght to the punpkin? i havea Mig Welder and dont have access to an other type of welder right now
nryota   +1y
weld it to the pumpkin, i never have had any probs with it.

TwistedMinis   +1y
Theres not really any harm in welding to the pumpkin if you build your tabs right. I make a 3-link style tab, to put one bushing above the pumpkin, that wraps around the back side of the housing.
bdroppeddak   +1y
are you going to weld on the housing or the 3rd member? the housing isnt cast if thats what you are talking about....
BioMax   +1y
^^^ that's what I was thinking. If you can avoid it, I would stay away from welding to the pumpkin itself. You can certainly get away with it, but I wouldn't ever just do it because it's easy, I would try to find a way around it if possible. As a matter of fact, I haven't ever had a vehicle that had the tabs welded to a cast center section.
S10TooDamnLow   +1y
Edited: 12/9/2007 11:04:50 PM by S10TooDamnLow

You can weld to the cast if you take the proper measurements to make sure you do it right. I would stay away from it...I learned in school the proper ways and can do it without problem but I still stay away from doing it. It all has to do with the carbon content of the cast compared to what regular mild steel has. The cast needs to be preheated, stress relieved immediately, and very slowly cooled down to keep the casting from cracking later on down the road. Can it be done, yes.
retrodrag   +1y
Originally posted by S10TooDamnLow

Edited: 12/9/2007 11:04:50 PM by S10TooDamnLow

You can weld to the cast if you take the proper measurements to make sure you do it right. I would stay away from it...I learned in school the proper ways and can do it without problem but I still stay away from doing it. It all has to do with the carbon content of the cast compared to what regular mild steel has. The cast needs to be preheated, stress relieved immediately, and very slowly cooled down to keep the casting from cracking later on down the road. Can it be done, yes.

Damn, not to get off topic, but just out of curiosity what are you going to school for? I
Page 1 of 1