threads
Page 2 of 2
Tools \  Anyone ever use this english wheel before?

Anyone ever use this english wheel before?

Tools Q & A
views 936
replies 18
following 13

domepiece   +1y
I just bought the harbor freight one a couple days ago. It's actually very well built for the price. I think it could be great with a sleeve for the where the lower anvils part comes out and a jamb nut on the adjuster. It doesn't work for shit with the bottom wheel moving. I haven't had a chance to fix it but i think it's worth it. Nothing you buy at harbor freight is perfect. I have a sheetmetal break that i bought from there and added a piece of angle and reinforced some stuff and it works great too now.
KEEF   +1y
Heres mine old machinist instructor at the tech school i attended built every piece and machined all the wheels it works awesome
KEEF   +1y
ima pull the casters back off we used em to aid in moving it from the school the other day
madmazdawg   +1y
Originally posted by TwistedMinis

I've heard of people beefing them up a little, and them working well. If you search the HotRodders.com forum there are a lot of people on there that have them.

For about the same price, I built one thats a lot bigger, and can roll 16 gauge with ease.

God Seth you are such a talented litle fucker with so much motivation.My biggest problem is staying motivated.....WILL YOU MARRY ME????

danieljpeter   +1y
Originally posted by domepiece

I just bought the harbor freight one a couple days ago. It's actually very well built for the price. I think it could be great with a sleeve for the where the lower anvils part comes out and a jamb nut on the adjuster. It doesn't work for shit with the bottom wheel moving. I haven't had a chance to fix it but i think it's worth it. Nothing you buy at harbor freight is perfect. I have a sheetmetal break that i bought from there and added a piece of angle and reinforced some stuff and it works great too now.

AHHH YES. Harbor Freight: The Chinese Junkyard! Love that place.
unusualfabrication   +1y
Originally posted by danieljpeter

Originally posted by domepiece

AHHH YES. Harbor Freight: The Chinese Junkyard! Love that place.

The more I search around the more I see the old timers using these. They must not be to bad. It looks alot they are strenghtening them up a little but for the price of the stand and the anvils it appears to be a good cheap alternative to several thousand dollar machines. Unless you are "wheeling" 8-10 hours a day, everyday, I think this tool will do more then good enough work.
pimptruckman92   +1y
seth, what is your website if its working now. i saw how you built your welding table and im planning on doing some similar home built projects.
TwistedMinis   +1y
Originally posted by pimptruckman92

seth, what is your website if its working now. i saw how you built your welding table and im planning on doing some similar home built projects.

My website is pretty much gone. I checked the other day and all the information is not there. I have some of it saved to my computer but not all. I'm not going to rebuild it until I can successfully change hosts. I've had too many problems with them to even try any more.
dan48p   +1y
Edited: 12/5/2007 8:17:55 AM by Dan48p

from what i've read the HF wheel has (complete radius) dies. where as the most popular ones for guys doing a lot of metal work have flatter centers so they have a larger contact patch.

i guess the complete radius ones have a tendency to put deep grooves in the metal not sure never used one though

check out http://www.metalmeet.com

there are a lot of guys over there that have been doing this kind of shit for years and years, they have a lot of insight.

again, i've never even used an english wheel so i can't say anything from experience and i'm not knocking anyones tools or design.

again, metalmeet.com has a huge forum, i'm really suprised that i don't see more minitruckers on that sight.