Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  pinion angle question

pinion angle question

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 332
replies 5
following 5

1lowrado   +1y
I just finished installing a 3 link kit on my colorado. I figured out that my pinion angle should be 0 at half travel. I have that setup correctly and my pinion goes from +5 to -5 from layed out to full lift. I put the tranny in Neutral and rolled the driveshaft without any binding problems.

Is 10* of pinion angle change acceptable?
Iownissan   +1y
are your upper and lower bars parallel with each other?
olskoolpup   +1y
10 deg is a lot of change. something isnt quite right. either your lengths are way different or the bars are at way different angles.

to be set up correctly, you want your bars to be mounted in the same plane when viewed over head. meaning, the front of the bars mounted the same distance away from the axle.

also, youre gonna want the lower bars parallel to the ground at half travel, and the upper bar angled slightly down to give you an instant center. the IC should be around mid engine to the back of the grille.

if you stick with those parameters, you shouldnt have more than 2-3 deg of pinion angle change through the cycle.
1lowrado   +1y
Thanks Bryan, I don't think my lower bars are level at half travel. I'll have to double check on that.
bigjon   +1y
thats not good my pinion angle only changes like 1 deg through the entire range of travel
BioMax   +1y
Yeah, it sounds to me that the front mounts are too close to each other, either the uppers need to go up or the lowers need to go down. Keep in mind though, like Bryan said, the lowers should be close to parallel to the ground at half travel.
Page 1 of 1