Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  General Question About Frame work

General Question About Frame work

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 228
replies 2
following 3

1lownismo   +1y
Ok I have been building mini trucks for over 20 years. I have owned a bodydropped 85 xtra cab yota in the past it was channeled and I hated it. Now I am building a frontier a 1999 model. I bought the truck used and started redoing the entire truck. I have ran into some problems with the frame and wanted a opnion on what I should do. Ok first who ever bagged the truck chopped into the rear frame like cut a 2 inch section out of the bottom in order to mount the lower link bars which weakened that part of the frame. I have some pics so I will add them later on here. to show what I mean. The truck was well drug and my few times I have drug the truck now my frame is well ground down and the front is shot I believe either the control arms or the crossmember is so tweaked nothing can be aligned. So my question is would it be feasible to take a yota front clip and build an entier new chasis using the front clip? I was planning on body droping it but with all the stange things this truck is popping up with I just wanted to know should i start with a new frontier frame or should I try mating the yota clip using thick 2x3 for under the cab and plating it even more? I mean i talked it over today with a friend and i told him when I see these builds i see just 2x3 but nothing is plated for having a longer wear time on the frame rails. I just dont want to waste my time if the yota front isnt going to work well. I figured if i went with the yota I could Z it so i wont drag the front xmember more parts are readily avail for that but With all the issues and weakness's of the frame i have now I would still have to plate the entire frame under the cab and do a new back half so which would be the better route stock floor with yota clip and yota rear or new frontier frame? I guess I rely on your answer to this so I can figure this out and not exhaust my brain trying to figure this out. It seems frontier parts around here are hard to come by I was also told maybe s10? since there are so many of those.
xinsertnamex   +1y
I personally never used a yota clip but i know alot of the ranger guys use them for a stfb so if a ranger can use them and you have good fabbing skills i see no reason why you couldnt build a new frame with the yota clip and have it turn out great
BioMax   +1y
I would do the Toyota clip and custom frame before I fought the Nissan stuff. They work well and are easy to come by.
Page 1 of 1