Page 1 of 3
Ask A Pro \  Idea

Idea

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 1525
replies 22
following 18

daburban   +1y
Would it be possible to integrate linear actuators into an upper control arm application to control camber at various heights?
BigRich   +1y
Like Ricky Ricardo Says "Don't Be Ridiculous!"
impulse   +1y
Originally posted by BigRich

Like Ricky Ricardo Says "Don't Be Ridiculous!"

im with this guy.
BggdNBdyDrppdJunk   +1y
sounds complicated, and expensive
daburban   +1y
I bet you would buy them if they were availible.
daburban   +1y
Originally posted by BggdNBdyDrppdJunk

sounds complicated, and expensive

Thats what I thought about 4links when I first saw them.
BigRich   +1y
Edited: 11/3/2007 10:22:06 PM by BigRich

Don't feel bad man! I'm still working on my cordless extension cord, Think About It No More Dead Batteries or coils of cord! and believe me if it was out there you would buy it;)
daburban   +1y
http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=57

Two of these connected at one end with some type of uniball or bearing at one end to connect to spindle and connect the other end to the frame. They are cheap and have 400lbs of of pulling/pushing force.
shortrodeo   +1y
I remember some guy about 3 years ago in the chat room was talking about some suspension he was designing that would pull the upper arms pretty far to fold the wheels over enough so he could make them fit under the hood.. I never saw the designs and never heard anything about it again, but the real question is what do you want adjustable camber for? Just for looks?

IMO someone needs to figure out how to use a linear acutator or some other means to give us a bumpstop on a switch so when the pesky cops want to find out if and part of your ride is below the rim when its down you can flip them on and show them that it dont lay out!
shortrodeo   +1y
Originally posted by daburban

http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=57

Two of these connected at one end with some type of uniball or bearing at one end to connect to spindle and connect the other end to the frame. They are cheap and have 400lbs of of pulling/pushing force.

I have a set of those actuators to lift my Carson top on my truck... They can push and pull 400lbs each but there is no way they would beable to take the abuse of the weight of your SUV sucking up the bumbs in the road. that shaft is 3/4" but its hollow because it has a screw drive in it, it would be like building control arms out of 3/4" electrical conduit.

If you wanted to do it you would need to design something that was stronger then figure out how to make it move