Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  bump steer

bump steer

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 337
replies 5
following 3

dirtyd97   +1y
just woundering the cause and cures for it, i have quite a bit of it in my 6 inch static dropped 95 jimmy daily driver, It has been aligned twice with no change,the truck has a ton of miles on it and it might be in the stearing box that has a little slop... any help would be great
BioMax   +1y
Are you using stock spindles or are they aftermarket? What brand are they? Have you checked the other steering parts for wear?
dirtyd97   +1y
i have all bel-teck spindles and springs, everything is in good working shape or farly new. like ball joints,steeing rack and control arm bushing,the only part that seems worn is the steering box it has about 4 inch of back and forth play in the steering wheel, and are some steering boxes better then others do they have a closer ratio in the S-10 line say like and SLS or exteam models to replace it with ???
MagicMikey   +1y
what about the idler arm is it worn, its an over looked part that could cause it too. its the pitman arm on the stearing box on the other side of the frame.
BioMax   +1y
There are some adjustments that can be made to tighten the steering wheel play up, but it also effects other things. The idler arm can also cause problems. I would have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you lay under the truck and see where all of the play is coming from. A worn box can certainly cause the issues you are talking about, but it is also the most expensive part to replace.
dirtyd97   +1y
thanks max for all your help
Page 1 of 1