Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  Raising Upper Arms Question

Raising Upper Arms Question

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 289
replies 3
following 3

mindlissmetalfab   +1y
I figured this would be the best place for this. I've got a bit of experience bagging trucks but I havent really messed with front suspensions much aside from the usual bags/spindles.

I'm doing a colorado this spring and I'm looking at going this route.

Its on stock uppers and lowers, but the upper mounts are raised 4" and the lower balljoints spaced up 2".

The truck I'm working on already has the 2" dropped upper ball joints so I am thinking I could just raise the upper mounts 2" and add the 2" spacer for the lowers.

I'm just wondering how all these changes will effect the steering? I emailed the shop that did the truck posted but have not heard back regarding if they had to mess with that at all.

Any input on this topic is appreciated from anyone with experience on these front ends or front suspension geometry in general. I know I've laser cut raised upper mounts for a few Dodge Ram guys as well.
BioMax   +1y
I'm not a big fan of moving a-arms pivots. The stock suspension usually works really well. I do understand that in some cases major changes need to happen, but I personally I would build custom knuckles before ever thinking about moving factory a-arm mounts. I also know that not everybody can build custom knuckles, so if you are hell-bent on moving the arms, I really don't have any helpful input .

As for how it would effect the steering... I'm not sure. It depends on how much it changes the A-arm/tie rod relationship.
mindlissmetalfab   +1y
Edited: 10/10/2007 8:52:17 AM by iLLblazer

You should make Colorado spindles then. haha. If its an option I'll gladly consider it since hes looking at buying arms anyways, so if that $ goes towards spindles instead then that works too.

I'm looking into control arm options as well, but the ones I've seen so far, I'm not impressed with. Waiting to here back from one other place on some.I think the major issue with the stock arms on these trucks is huge negative camber, which the customer wants to avoid. So that could be solved with a slightly longer upper, or a raised upper I guess. Or a custom spindle.

Would the fact that its rack and pinion make much difference in steering issues?
BioMax   +1y
I am willing to build anything that you need, if it's actually going to help.

There wouldn't be any difference if its a box or a rack, tie rod placement will still be the same. So anything that throws off tie rod placement will be equal in either circumstance.
Page 1 of 1