Page 1 of 3
Ask A Pro \  spherical bearing

spherical bearing

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 1380
replies 28
following 10

tenfrontier   +1y
Max, can these work instead of uniballs on lower control arms?http://www.midwestcontrol.com/buy.php?item=3758
BioMax   +1y
Sure, but what happens when they wear out?
tenfrontier   +1y
Would a similar sized threaded spherical rod end work?
BioMax   +1y
Yeah, wyh not? Just be sure to use a JMX or RSM quality part. The CM stuff is guaranteed to break or wear out prematurely.
TwistedMinis   +1y
What about XM Chromoly?
tenfrontier   +1y
to be clear, I want to use it in a lower ball joint application. I realize that a uniball would be ideal being the cup can be welded to the a-arm tubing. I have seen you use rod ends on the upper arms in place of the ball joint, but I was wondering if a rod end with a large diameter shaft could take the stress of a lower ball joint application.
bdroppeddak   +1y
it wont get near the travel a 1x5/8 uniball setup will get..... i got some uniball kits from camburg @ 95 bucks each, quick shipping!
BioMax   +1y
Originally posted by tenfrontier

to be clear, I want to use it in a lower ball joint application. I realize that a uniball would be ideal being the cup can be welded to the a-arm tubing. I have seen you use rod ends on the upper arms in place of the ball joint, but I was wondering if a rod end with a large diameter shaft could take the stress of a lower ball joint application.

Sure, on a heim that is in a bending load, I order the part with oversized thread. For example a 3/4" spherical with a 7/8" threaded shaft. Those would be plenty strong for a fullsize, as long as there wasn't any binding issues.

Seth- I'm not sure about that part number. The numbers that I gave are the standard FK numbers that most people are familliar with.
tenfrontier   +1y
cool, thanks for clearing that up for me.

tenfrontier   +1y
Originally posted by TwistedMinis

What about XM Chromoly?Seth, I found a interchange table, and xm is equivalent to rsm.