Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  measurements of notch

measurements of notch

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 238
replies 2
following 3

moedaman   +1y
i have 70 c10 and plan on a 3 inch z on both ends how high should my notch be i'm trying too get a proper measurement on how much 2x3 inch tubing i need to buy thanks who ever gives me this info
granth   +1y
do you have wheels and tires already? if so...just measure how far from the ground to clear your axle...

if its stock frame (this is how i am measureing/building mine, has yet to be installed mind you) but I measured from axle top to top of frame rail, then measured from my rocker to the ground (center of truck) and then subtracted the first measurement from that and added .5 inch. that gives you how much PAST the frame rail you need, so then add however tall your frame is to that.

for example (with numbers) i had

axle top to frame top= 11.5
rocker to floor=15

15-11.5=3.5

6 (stock rail height) + 3.5= 9.5
I am making my notches bigger than needed so i can cut em right, as my rails are odd, may be you need to do the same. But, when its done, I will have a 10-10.25 inch notch. depending how i want to do it.
BioMax   +1y
That works... Keep in mind though that the vehicle needs to be level on jack stands in order for this to work properly.

The way that I do it is to place the vehicle on stands, level, and find the measurement from the ground the the frame would call the ground. (Let's call that 10") for simplistics sake. Then you add the overall height of the tire (we'll call this one 27") and the diameter of the rearend housing (where it would hit the notch, typically 3" so now we have 30") and divide that by 2 (15") from the "ground" the botom of the notch needs to be 15". Our ground being 10" would mean that the botom of the notch, with the truck on the stands would need to be a minimum of 25" from the ground.

Make sence?
Page 1 of 1