Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  wheel/hub bearings for custom spindles

wheel/hub bearings for custom spindles

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 346
replies 7
following 3

bodydropped72   +1y
im thinkin about building my own knuckles for an irs my question is where do you get the wheel/hub bearing similar to what you are using on ernies mits. i have a s10 clip for the front of my project and would like to keep the same bolt pattern in the rear thanks
BioMax   +1y
4WD S-10 front hubs are what I am using. They are a bit cheaper if you get them without the ABS wire. You can use either stock S-10 CV joints or RCV can build you drive flanges to fit any CV joint you want.
purplekush   +1y
ive got a question related to spindles too

what should i use as a template when building my own spindles

im building them really beefy theyre for a long travel kit im designing and building in my free time.. i just took the stock arms and made a jig and extended each template like 5.5 inches so that the wheels are in the same spot in the wheel wells ... im gonna build uniball upper and lower for my spindles

im gonna add like 3" to the spindle for lift and im gonna stick the spindle almost an inch and a half out for a wider stance...

should i just do the same as i did for the arms and make a template using the stock spindle and then once i get it sized up build a boxed in spindle for it?

i was just gonna buy some camburg spindles but i decided to make my own
BioMax   +1y
Building your own spindles is an interesting one. When I build a front suspension, I design my spindle first. Because the spindle is the interface between the wheel and the steering, as well as the rest of the suspension, it is more important that the spindle be set-up correctly than anything else.

When building a spindle you need to take these things into consideration, in order of importance...

1. Spindle inclination/steering axis and it's relationship to the tire. By simply widening your spindle to get width, you will end up with a steering that you are fighting constantly. (do your homework on scrub radius)

2. Steering arm placement and length, to make sure that Ackermann is in check and the steering arm is the proper length. (Make sure that you understand how to use Ackermann and that your steering arm is the proper length)

3. Brakes, in the end, you will need to mount brakes to the whole thing and you can run into problems with rotors hitting the spindle body or no room for a caliper or?
bodydropped72   +1y
Edited: 9/17/2007 6:51:48 PM by 72layinrocker

im actually gonna attempt to building my own irs so the steering portion isnt relative is it? can you do inboard brakes on a differential unit like say i get an rx7 or maybe one out of a nissan i just think an inboard brake would look good oh ya i know uniballs can be used but they get quite spendy what size heim would you recommend for all the pivot points
BioMax   +1y
Well you still have to have a way to set toe, that would necessitate a very small amount of steering. You would still need to address it the same way, sort of. Do some hunting around and see what others have done for toe adjustment.

What kind of vehicle is it? That would determine the size of heim to use. But as a rule of thumb, I would run a 7/8" lower and a 3/4" upper. Those sizes are way overkill, but don't look out of place.
bodydropped72   +1y
actually its for a jeep wagoneer im doin the irs so i can keep my rear bench and all i will have to cut is right behind it
BioMax   +1y
The heims that I suggested will work fine as long as you buy high quality parts. JMX or RSM heims, not CM!
Page 1 of 1