Ask A Pro \  max

max

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 683
replies 11
following 5

stkflrd73   +1y
first of all long time reader first time writer

i have a 01 silverado 3in stock floori have 265 35 22 up front layin with no spindles i have put a 3/4 piece of wood under the tire and it still lays

so here is my question

i am redoing my truck for a 295 35 24 ...

i dont wanna run a drop spindle because of lift issues and it is driven daily and to every show

this is what i wanna do

move my cab back an inch so i can keep my acmake a tie rod that will curve to keep that from bindingmaybe run a uniball like your toyota spindle

your opinion would be great and help me in the right direction

thanks alot Shaun *NR*
BioMax   +1y
moving the cab back is completely your call. If your wheel centered in the fenderwell is something that you are willing to scrifice, go for it.

A curved tierod is a bit more tricky. The bend is weak and will be the point where all of the stress wants to be. If you look at other tierods that are factory pre bent, they are bent out at the end in a thick chunk of solid cast steel and then the steering rod from the box or rack is typically still a straight line from the inner and outer tierod ends. Most steering rods cannot handle the stress of being even a few degrees off. Do your homework on this one!

Running a uni-ball upper ball-joint can be quite usefull. There isn't any reason that you couldn't do that.
TC29720   +1y
If at all possible don't bend the tie rod, I've seen the aftermath of that failure. Either make you one or have someone that knows the ins and outs of foing so make you one. Check into barely legal fab, I believe tyhey have made some for s10's that have worked well,maybe they can lead you in the right direction
stkflrd73   +1y
the tie rods i guess i can adress when i get there.
with no spindles my wheel moves towards my cab the lower the suspension goes so i dont think it will be to far off

about the uni ball where do i get them from and is there a certin one im looking for
i guess this could limit my turning so i want to get them most degrees as possible

thanks alot max for the help!
splitdecision   +1y
Hey, sorry to jack your thread but I had a question. How did you bodydrop your truck? Stock Floor, traditional, or channeling.
stkflrd73   +1y
everything is stock floored except under the seats its channeled
i didnt see any point in cutting the frame that runs next to the gas tank when i have to cut the cab there any ways. and the pass side is channeled as well in that spot.
so 90% stbd 10% channel 0% traditional

sence my truck has been done ive
100% STBD 05 sierra 01 f150 super crew 83 1ton dually ..... thats the way to go
BioMax   +1y
HM-Engineering.com -You should probably use a 7/8" uniball kit with a 1/2" bolt, as long as you set up the bolt similar to the way my Taco spindles are set-up.
stkflrd73   +1y
you say that uni balls will get about 54 deg of turning
about how much would i be losing from stock
25%?
its not that big of deal
just want to know what down falls i might have down the road....
thanks for the help
bdroppeddak   +1y
max maybe you should address the issues and procedures to properly join a steel uniball cup to a cast steel spindle too!
stkflrd73   +1y
that would be awsome
i have a friend that has shortend titan spindles. they are done good but thats cast to cast...