Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  rack n pinion

rack n pinion

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 315
replies 7
following 4

tbmx86   +1y
Max. I have a ranger Im building a front suspension for. I need to know what rack and pinion you would recommend using. I believe the size of your rack will also determine where your lca mounts should be... right? Please poitn me in the right direction.
CarrJETS   +1y
the 98 and up rangers come from the factory with rack and pinion. Not sure if it would work on your set up but just thought i throw it out there
BioMax   +1y
Originally posted by tbmx86

I believe the size of your rack will also determine where your lca mounts should be... right? Please poitn me in the right direction.

Not quite. It depends on where you mount the rack in relation to the upper and lower bars. If the rack is mounted at the same height as the lower control arms then yew, the rack and lca inner pivots should be in line with each other. But the higher up the rack is mounted the more it needs to be related to the upper arm too. I would never build around a rack unless I was on an island and couldn't get something different. But, I would design my front end with the rack in mind.

This is the basic diagram used to calculate steering placement.

post photo
tbmx86   +1y
Ive read your diagram and I have a fairly good idea of how to set the rack up... Im just having a hard time finding A rack for my set up. Im just asking what is a ideal sized rack I should look into. Im probably goign to base my measurements off a yota clip. Any ideas?
BioMax   +1y
There are a few different companies out there that can sell you a rack to fit most needs. Hunt around and see what is available and draw up your front suspension keeping in mind the available sizes. I'm not sure what is available, I prefer a box in most cases.

Is that what you are looking for or am I not understanding your question?
tbmx86   +1y
Almost.. ahha. I want to know where to find the rack. Ive searched and all I ever find is a pinto and mustang 11 rack. Point me in the direction of where to start looking please sir.
BioMax   +1y
The only rack that I have ever bought brand new was from a company called Sweet Engineering. They specialize in racks for racecars. They are actually quite fair priced, but they only had front steer racks. There was someone on a different thread that mentioned a place that sold custom racks, so I would do a search.
bodydropped85   +1y
unisteer makes custom racks. as for the ranger, a ranger/mustang/aerostar/explorer unit will work, but tehy are kinda wide but all the same. although they have different locations of part were the steering shaft hooks up. the mustang works the best in a ranger w/ an explorer steering shaft(double joint)
Page 1 of 1