Page 1 of 2
Ask A Pro \  welder acting funny

welder acting funny

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 469
replies 10
following 9

mitsu94   +1y
doin a body drop on my max and my welder is arcin and spitin its jumpin so much i cant even weld ive had this welder 4 3 years and never had a problem welding with it. its a craftsman mig have it set up 4 gas .24 wire got the gas pressure on 18 or so. metal is clean no paint, rust. i have my ground hooked 2 the floor were the gap is when u open the door i have the paint ground off and have it clamped 2 there, im tryin 2 weld the rear cab wall. my question is have u ever had this problem and could it be were im grounding it. thanks 4 any help u can give
bdroppeddak   +1y
do you have a clean tip in it?
leydbck   +1y
Edited: 9/11/2007 7:34:39 PM by leydbck

Are you out of gas? Lift your bottle and check. When you press your trigger can you hear the gas?
mitsu94   +1y
yea i hear gas when i squeeze the trigger and the tip is cleaned out but ive never changed it will they go bad
bdroppeddak   +1y
yea they get dirty and dont make very good contact with the wire....
creative concepts   +1y
also try changing your wire speed.. sometimes i gotta change mine on the same stuff.. no idea why
BioMax   +1y
All good ideas^^^

I think that we have all run into that scenario...

You want the ground near where you are welding and make sure it is biting hard on the grounding surface. Try turning the heat up too. What I have found that works best on bodydrops is to take and run the torch over the ares that are going to be welded and wire brush out the seam sealer and crap that is used to seal the body.
bodydropped85   +1y
also check the ground cable out. i had to replace the one on my 110 at work and it works better then b4( 4 gauge stereo wire lol)
monkeyb7144   +1y
man i could barly stay focused and read your thread with your pictures flashing at me anyway my welder just was doing the same thing my problem was the ground was bad i changed where i was grounding too and it worked i also turned up the heat to my max setting but i am only using a 110 so maybe just turn yours up a little but first i would just try the ground
mitsu94   +1y
thanks 4 all the suggestions guys never thought about usin the torch 2 clean the metal very clever. ill see which one works this weekend thanks again 4 the help