Page 1 of 5
Ask A Pro \  welding ? for ya boss...

welding ? for ya boss...

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 1966
replies 40
following 22

maztang (ryan)   +1y
i have heard different things about what type of welder to use on suspension components. i recently bought a lincoln pro mig 140 and i am teaching myself how to weld. i have been doing a lot of odd jobs with it and getting pretty good. my question is, is it safe to weld suspension components with a 120 volt welder or should i buy a 220 volt. as always with us minitruckers money is a factor but safety comes first. so if i need to buy a 220 welder to do my suspension than ok. but if i can do it safely with my 120 volt that would be sweet.

here is a link to all the info on the welder that i bought.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=48148

thanks man.

ryan
gravity5   +1y
Buy a 220 volt, especially if you are an inexperienced welder....
NC Dave   +1y
yea i go with a 220 myself
datsunlayingdoors   +1y
i prefer a 220 espically if you are going to mig weld your stuff in.. if you use a 110 be sure you know what you are doing and you cannot pentrate the metals enough with gas on the welder so you have to use flux core wire.. id done suspension with both with out any problems but then again ive been welding for years and have numerous certifications
creative concepts   +1y
what are you saying you cant penetrate metals good with gas on a 110? My 110 will burn through 1/8th inch and welds very solidly to 3/16.. .my backhalf is 1/8th which is all that is needed... it has no flex in it.. it welded my 3/16 thick links together perfectly fine with a good nice penetration marks inside..

you just gotta take it nice and slow and bevel what edges you have. knowing how to weld is nice too.. i weld on miller 306's all day.. 2 phase machines.

if i had 220 in my garage i'd bu one..
GFreeman   +1y
i had a lincoln135 (110v) then went to the 175 (220). the 220v was MUCH easier to learn on and MUCH easier to get penetration. i coulnt imagine trying to use a 110v on a backhalf or something that is 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick. i would save up for a 220v.
bdroppeddak   +1y
if you an experienced welder, you should have no problem welding 1/8-3/16" steel with 135 amps runnin solid wire and gas...
maztang (ryan)   +1y
i know 220 would be better by far but if i can use my lincoln safely i will be using flux core for better penetration. the welder is able to weld 5/16 in a single pass using flux core. that is why i am asking this question. thanks for the help and keep it coming.

ryan
thacru78   +1y
Hey Ryan, i bagged the dodge with the exact same welder. The Dodge is alot bigger than the Mazda's so i don't think you will have any problems. As you know I was pretty rough on my truck and I never had one weld break or crack. As far as building a frame or something like that I would use a 220. But if your just linking and notching it, then I don't see a problem in it. I gotta come check out the place sometime man. Later bro.
maztang (ryan)   +1y
damn bro, i haven't heard from you in a while. juan called me the other day, asking about you. i need to come over and check out the door dragger. i am going to do a backhalf on my 90 b2200. i have a rx7 lsd irs that i am going to put on it.