Page 1 of 2
Ask A Pro \  notch before 4 link??

notch before 4 link??

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 581
replies 11
following 5

gorillagarage   +1y
should you notch out the frame before or after the 4 link is set up? in what order do you set up suspensions bag placement 4link notch etc etc thanks in advance
bigjon   +1y
I personally lay my frame on the rearend before I notch it. Because that is usually a good ride height to set up the 4link at. You want you bars close as possible to parallel with the ground at ride height. I like link, notch, bags.
gorillagarage   +1y
the reason i asked is that im using a wishbone we set everthing up notched it and it seems like something is binding and wont let the frame lay over the axle i unbolted the bone and bottom bars and allowed to lay but now i need to remount the mounting points
BioMax   +1y
It has been a long time since I have had to notch a truck without linking it at the same time. But if all of your measurement are right there isn't any particuar order to do it in. I would check driveshaft length or possibly bushing bind, depending on how you set them up. If you can, post some pics...
gorillagarage   +1y
i will try to get some pics tomorrow i did it all reverse now im thinking i should have gone forward the is the first mini im building i was around hydraulics and lowriders most of my life . its a 97 tacoma do you have any pics of mikes or ernies tacoma??
BioMax   +1y
Mike's is really unorthodox and I don't have any of Ernie's. There still shouldn't be any reason for the suspension to bind up if the bushings aren't bound and the driveshaft isn't an issue.
dan48p   +1y
if it is setup reverse then the driveshaft would be pulling away from the output shaft i believe. then if it were the driveshaft going in too far it would be while it is going up. correct me if i'm wrong

only thing else i could think of would be if the driveshaft is actually hitting something like the floorpan or a crossmember

are you laying the frame down or jacking the axle up into the frame?
gorillagarage   +1y
both ways i just went out there yes the drive shaft hit the crossmember under the cab i will spend most of the day tomorrow figuring it out any ideas will be helpfull i may just change everthing forward
BioMax   +1y
When you lower Tacomas many times the driveshaft is too long, reverse or foward, if the driveshft is too long to center the wheel in the fender well it will bind.

If you are doing all of your own work, swap it to a full foward. You won't know the difference unless you drive it with a reverse first, but take my word for it, it's worth it.
MagicMikey   +1y
Edited: 9/2/2007 8:23:12 PM by MagicMikey

how long are your bars? i just changed my set up in the back cause the ssd wish bone that i had on it made the axle move frount to back too much for the lift i was getting. so i got alot longer bars to help stop that, but i also went with a hole different set up and mine is a forward set up too still.