Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  Steering geometry

Steering geometry

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 277
replies 5
following 2

mccustomize   +1y
So not a lot of people talk about proper steering geometry, as in SAFe steering geometry, since I narrowed the front clip on my fullsize 4"s I'm trying to set it up properly, whats your thoughts on steering max?
BioMax   +1y
Well, I've mentioned a few times in the past that GM has built some pretty strange steering geometry, so you will probably be best off just narrowing the center link the same amount as you narrowed the frame. But that doesn't answer your question about properly setting up steering.

The basic diagram that I have posted here is how you would figure your proper steering position and tierod length, but you also have to take into consideration different steering arm lengths and placement, ackermann is always there to throw a good sized wrench into things. And if all that wasn't enough, most factory suspension systems have built in anti-dive that is caused by castor gain built into the upper a-arm mount that makes the steering arms move differently through the travel than the spindle does. I don't know of any book that has succesfully put this entire package into words and I don't have enough time in the day.

But we can start with one thing at a time. Pick one...

post photo
mccustomize   +1y
I'm at work right now so the stupid firewall wont let me see the picture, but my main problem is keeping the toe set throughout the travel, it changes dramatically with 13" of lift in the front, on the desert trucks you build whats the trick to getting the steering to stay in spec with 30 inches of travel, it blows my mind to think of trying to control that much travel
mccustomize   +1y
ok so I thought the point F needed to be where the pivot of the upper and lower arm intrersect? but judging by your diagram no?
BioMax   +1y
Point F is where your actual inner pivot would be if point E on your spindle was outside of the steering axis. The drawing is based loosely on a front steer spindle where the spindle would have ackermann built in. Points x and z are what are used to calculate the steering height and length, but F and E are the actual points.

Make sense?
mccustomize   +1y
ah, yes it does
Page 1 of 1