Page 1 of 2
Ask A Pro \  tucking steering

tucking steering

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 437
replies 17
following 12

lunatiksblazer   +1y
on my 95 blazer im building the rails in the front our 31" apart (outside - outside), and i measured 17" from the outside of the rail to fender lip, how far back should my wheels be from the fender so i can steer while tucking
impulse   +1y
Definitely a great question for Max!
TwistedMinis   +1y
If the lip of your wheel is inset about 2 inches you should be able to turn pretty damn far, probably close to lock to lock, about an inch off the ground. My friends fullsize is this way, and he can make a u turn without airing it up, and he hovers all the time.
BioMax   +1y
That is a good question, but there are a few things missing. How low do you plan on laying? How tall are the tires? How much do you want to be able to turn? How much offset on the wheels?

Too many questions for me to just spit out an answer. Everybody has this issue. On Ernie's truck, I have all of the freedom in the world, but I still have to compromise between having the wheel close to the fender lip (so it doesn't look like the chassis is too narrow) and being able to turn as much as possible as low as possible. If you are building your own front suspension, you have a little more design freedom, but you still have to make the decision of what you are willing to compromise.
TwistedMinis   +1y
I think this truck looks good driving, and the wheel is sucked in pretty far.
post photo
BioMax   +1y
That's also an older truck. Could you imagine a Civic looking like that?
TwistedMinis   +1y
Good point. But I wish I would have narrowed my suspension about 3/4" per side when my truck was just a frame. It would have helped with steering. I have to drive pretty low to make a decent sweeping turn. Mid travel I can't turn much, because theres about 1/2" between my tire and fender.
BioMax   +1y
That's kinda my point. Every vehicle is going to have a different width that works best. Even steering geometry and alignment can be a concern when pushing the limits.
standardbyker88   +1y
well, i saw a civy today with the fronts sucked way in, twas low as fuck on 14s and rubber bands. looked good. older hatch. so, its how you think it looks.
lunatiksblazer   +1y
itll be 20's 5.5 back spacing with 35 series tires...problem is i when i ordered my rails i only a rise of 6 in the front, should have gotten more because i wanted to drive untucked being i live in ohio, but to keep the bottom arm parrallel with the ground itll have to be like a 5-1/2 or so ride height....and i will need to be able to turn because if i have to hit a switch up here every time i need to turn johnny law will have a field day on my ass