Page 1 of 1
Ask A Pro \  irs

irs

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 350
replies 9
following 6

bodydropped72   +1y
im going to be getting an rx-7 irs for a top secret project im working on are these easy to modify such as the arms i know you say you can get spindles and a diff and make anything you want but how hard is it to convert spindles from one car to a diff from another
BioMax   +1y
It depends on what you mean by "modify." I know it's top secret, but I might need a little more info. What are you thinkin'? without giving up to much info of course.
impulse   +1y
I've seen the rx7 irs narrowed before.

I feel sorry for Max.
bodydropped72   +1y
well its not to top secret i talked to ernie about it at ludakris if it needs to be shortened for any reason how would you go about doing the arms i know there mounted kind of perpendicular to the framerails also the drive axles what would you do with those
BioMax   +1y
If I remember correctly, the RX-7 was a trailing arm type rear end, all you would need to do is build new (or modify the stock) trailing arms using the stock pivot points. The axles are easy, RCVperformance.com (talk to Sean Carlini) those guys can build you axles for anything and they are very fair priced.
impulse   +1y
BDon20s narrowed his stock arms on the IRS for an s10 I think.
BDon20s   +1y
Yeah, kind of. I actually just narrowed the IRS mounting crossmember (stock RX7), had the shafts narrowed, and modified the stock trailing arms to eliminate the passive steering system to remove the toe change throughout the cycle.

Then I put in in the corner of the garage, and forgot about it...

BioMax   +1y
The "passive" steering system that you speak of is a diliberately induced roll-steer. It is typically roll-understeer to promote stability, but it can cause some problems with an adjustable suspension. This is why an adjustable suspension will always be a compromise when trying to be forced to perform.
BioMax   +1y
I don't have any info on the rx7 irs, but I'm sure that someone will chime in...

What info exactly are you looking for?
impulse   +1y
yeah it helps if you say what info you want. haha.
Page 1 of 1