Page 4 of 6
Build-Ups \  Bagged bodydropped trailer

Bagged bodydropped trailer

Build-Ups General Discussions
views 191452
replies 51
following 43

thacru78   +1y
So the pivots are metal on metal...no bearings of any sort?
1997z24   +1y
--------------------------------------------

thacru78 said:

Correct, sort of- it is a greased contact. Remember, your engine runs "metal on metal" as well- quite amazing what an oil/grease film will do ;)
1997z24   +1y

pmiller said:

Awesome! Can't wait to see more. Where can I find more pics of the international?

About the only other pictures that are online, should be doing another shoot soon.

http://e11even11photography.blogspot.com/search/label/Bagged%20International
unusualfabrication   +1y

1997z24 said:

thacru78 said:

Correct, sort of- it is a greased contact. Remember, your engine runs "metal on metal" as well- quite amazing what an oil/grease film will do ;)

Your crank and cam actually run on bearings and the pistons use rings, all which are designed to do what they do and last hundreds of thousands of miles. They are also machined to tight tolerances to preform well. Your engine also has pressurized oil pumping though it which returns to a sump and slightly cool before it runs back through the motor. So your analogy is kind of comparing apples to oranges. Even if you put grease in it the grease is going to have a tendancy to push away from the contact side. Once the grease is gone it'll be metal on metal contact and seeing as its not hardened the metal will wear fast causing slop in the bushings. With the wheel mounted on the outside of the lever there will be a tremendous amount of force trying to twist it and then that force will be applied to the pivot. Now with the rear tires, since they face forward on the lever if there is any slop the tires are going to try and steer the trailer.

That being said, the trailer is cool, and the work looks good! Those are just the things I would be worried about.
thacru78   +1y
Spot on Chris...the trailer is very cool...and the fab work looks tremendous. But I would worry about the pivot...any slop in the bushing is going to lead to all kind of tracking problems with the wheels. If the arms weren't gonna see any twisting force I don't think it would be a problem...but because it will be twisted in any direction possible due to the design I think some sort of contained bearing would be the best route. I just don't see the metal on metal bushing performing very well. It might hold up for a little while but as soon as a burr or metal shaving gets into the grease...the bushing will deteriorate quickly. Can't wait to see the final product though. Very cool idea.
djleighk15   +1y
That trailer is bad ass
jeebus @ mmw   +1y
agreed on those pivots man. Traler is dope, but the pivots will sease up on ya eventually.

Machine a tapered shaft and use the same bearings you would use on a spindle with a rotor on it, very simple to do, and will work great.

Taylor
LaidNeon   +1y
updates??
tukn18saccord   +1y
sweet idea but also worried about the pivot points, doesnt look to sturdy, not sure at this point if i would haul anything on it of any weight. im not sure but from the way it looks i see it bending and breaking off while going down the road in its future. i do love it tho and i hope it works out for ya. cant wait to see it finished.
tuckinlugs06   +1y
they make torson axles for trailers like this but they use a rubber bushing with a solid square bar joing the same ...i would say buy one and redesign your after that one or use the pivot with the bushing