threads
Page 1 of 1
Max Engine \  G63B - '87 D50 & '86 MM compatibility?

G63B - '87 D50 & '86 MM compatibility?

Max Engine Max Tech
views 2176
replies 4
following 3

bradmph   +1y
Hi,
I have a 86 MM w/2.0L SOHC L4 G63B and I want to do a lower end engine swap from a 87 D50 G63B that has much less mileage then my 86. I went to view the 87 D50 motor and it is identical to mine except for a few changes I have made on my truck, for example...the weber, etc. Now, there are some updates on the 87 D50 I have questions about which I have shown below.

'87 D50 Engine
Image Removed by poster

are these items interchangable and would it be a better idea to bring the coil and distributor over with the lower engine swap?
Again, the 87 D50 has less then half the mileage on the lower end then my truck has and if these upgrades were a plus on the 87 D50, then should I replace my present parts with these.

Compatibility Concern
Image removed by poster

I checked head gaskets for both years on the G63B and they are identical. Even though the engines have the same Model numbers of G63B, I just wanted to be positive that there is not any issues from either years that I need to know about before the swap.

I located the 87 D50 from a reliable source and he is selling the entire truck for $300. I will pull what I can interchange with my 86 for backup and call wrecking yard to take the rest away.

Thanks
Post was last edited on Sep 25, 2013 06:09. This post has been edited 1 times.
mitsubishi van dude   +1y
are both engines standard transmission or automatic trans ???? i see you are located in home arizona i could stop by
droppedmitsu   +1y
Only thing you have to make sure to check is if one of them has an auto tranny, if so that particular g63b would be a wideblock bell housing engine and not the normal narrow block g63b. I would update to the newer coil and distributor system if possible.
bradmph   +1y
Thanks guys for your help about the engines. Both are manual transmissions. I was checking cam gears on a site and was checking if they carried the aftermarket adjustable cam gear for my 1986 MM and it said it didn't have it. I then tried the 1987 year and it said it was in stock. This confused me if the engines are the same why not have the same cam gears for both.
Anyway, I am supose to pick the parts truck up today if the snow has melted enough to roll the truck out of the guys garage. The truck is backed into an old chicken shed that is converted to a car storage. The building holds about 20 cars or so and he has some nice old ones in there. Couple Super Bees, and several other 30's and 40's coupes and such. Thank god the truck is right by the exit door, lol.
I also am located in SPokane, WA not AZ
bradmph   +1y
I wanted to conclude this thread. The vehicle in question above was not used due to pre-owner changing mind and keeping the truck.
I do though want to add that between the years 1986 and 1987 the G63B engines are not always alike. One example that I have found is that a G63B engine in an Automatic Mighty Max Truck is a wideblock, compared to a 1986 Mighty Max Manual transmission which is a Narrowblock. The engines of both these years in trucks do though have many interchangeable parts. I have transferred all the timing gears from an 87 G63B to a 86 G63B except for the camshaft sprocket gear. The camshaft sprocket gears on these engines are not compatible which I find strange. This is the transition period for the trucks with this engine and the camshaft sprocket gears went from a solid steel pressure punched gear to the 87 casted sprocket gear. The casted version of the gear was tried on installing onto the 86 G63B and when torqued it would compress against the camshaft seal and front cap. The cam pin was set back also in the gear showing that the 87 camshaft sprocket is thicker then the steel sprocket of the 86 G63B. I imagine if you machined the casted gear on the back side and lowered the raised groove on the casted gear that it would probably then fit the front of the cam better and make a better fit. I don't suggest doing this because it would probably weaken the sprocket and possibly cause a catastrophic failure.
Page 1 of 1