Page 1 of 1
Max Engine \  My headlights are about as bright as a candle

My headlights are about as bright as a candle

Max Engine Max Tech
views 1491
replies 8
following 5

maxxinn   +1y
Has any one done headlight swap or hid kit on there truck?My headlights just don't get the job done , they are about a half year old .Even new out of the box they weren't that bright .
greenteagod   +1y
After Market HID generally looks like garbage. I think a better solution, and one I did on my old 70s volvo was to go with cibie headlights that allow you to use insert bulbs rather than a full sealed headlight.

You also have a far larger selection of bulbs available when going over to the H4, depending on how "legal" you want to be you can even go with a bit brighter bulbs. I think I have 80/55 in the old volvo.

I got a great deal more light output when I switched over to the cibie headlights it has a better cut to the glass so more even coverage as well.

I've been looking at doing the cibie to my little ram, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I found them at the following site, but I'm not sure if he has them in stock. $3000 repair on my other car so fixing up the truck has been unfortunately on the back burner for a bit.

Either way, that's my two cents on it. Also make sure you're getting enough juice out of your alternator.
greenteagod   +1y
Also just found these. Definitely not gonna put down the light as good as the cibie but they're about a quarter of the cost and you'll still get to use the H4 bulbs.

sleeps   +1y
I bought some H4 style stock headlight conversions as well, then some Nokya bulbs and harness. Loved it. Cheap and bright alternative to fake HID's in a non HID headlight style set up.
droppedmitsu   +1y
DO NOT put HIDs in a regular incandescent bulb housing, it will just blind everyone in oncoming traffic. Do as these guys have said and get any universal 6x7 h4 headlights and you will be very happy.
greenteagod   +1y
On a side note to this. I plan on doing an upgrade to the CIBIE lenses next month. I'll take some photos as a comparison. I might pick up a new stock bulb just so it's a comparison of a fresh light since results can be a bit skewed if you're running a 2 year old lamp and comparing it to something that's supposed to be an "Upgrade"

Either way, I'll post some pics in the upgrade section once I get it sorted.
maxxinn   +1y
Thanx for the input and info I will look into the universal h4's.Im glad there are some alternative's to the older headlights.
greenteagod   +1y
Take some before and after pics when you do it. I've done a couple headlight tests before and just make sure to set my camera at a fixed aperture and speed so it's not compensating for the brightness, that way you can actually have photo proof of the difference.
mi-mitsu   +1y
Whatever happened with this project?
Page 1 of 1