threads
Page 1 of 2
Max Engine \  Radiator (my max overheats)

Radiator (my max overheats)

Max Engine Max Tech
views 2043
replies 14
following 5

bagged maxxi   +1y
question, i did a rebuilt on my 2.0 max and i got the timing right the frist time, without using the timing gun, but my problem is that its overheating soon as i drive pass 70mph, or when its really hot, were i live it gets up to 100 deg.i checked for leaks but nothing, no leaks at all. i still have the original radiator, could this be the problem? timing is off? what if i get a alum. radiator will this fix my problem? really need help on this, sucks cause when it over heats i have to blast the heater to cool it down............ thanks guys
droppedmitsu   +1y
Take the radiator out and try to flush it with a garden hose and spray nozzle to make sure its not clogged up. You should get a decent flow of water coming out the opposing side of whichever outlet you put the hose into. An all aluminum radiator will not make the problem go away unless its your radiator that's clogged, I have a stock radiator on my turbo motor and it cools it just fine.

If thats fine then make sure your thermostat is good. Also make sure your fan is still good. If you have the one that is bolted to the waterpump is SHOULD NOT spin very freely, it should be pretty firm(can spin a lil freely just not super easily) as it is supposed to turn with the motor to cool the engine.
If none of those are the culprit it would most likely have to be the water pump.
dcollins311   +1y
I'm thing the same that dropped87mitsu said a bout the water pump. Did u use a new one when u rebuilt the motor? I have seen the pump not leak at all and the fins on the motor side was gone. Just a flat plate and on fins.
bagged maxxi   +1y
I used my old water pump, I took out the fan that was bolted on the water pump and instanted. Electric fan, ill try and flush out the radiator if not I guess ill have to get a new water pump..... Thanks a lot guys
lush90   +1y
Have you checked your thermostat? That's where I would start.
bagged maxxi   +1y
I already removed it, still same problem, I just flushed out the radiator and still the same thing, I was told it might be my water pump, but how? It dosnt leak at all, there's no leaks anywere, does the timing afect this?
droppedmitsu   +1y
Yes, incorrect timing can cause overheating. Also could be a bad radiator cap. Going over the troubleshoot guide in the factory service manual only other thing left besides those is water pump.

Are you sure you timed it correctly? There is very specific spots that each gear in the timing set up needs to be pointed to.
bagged maxxi   +1y
I never timed it, was to excited to finish my frist swap, like I said I got the engine to turn on on the 2nd crank, I don't own a timing gun, so I'm kinda hoping its the timing cause the water pump looked fairly new when I rebuilt the block, all I did was get the new gasket, I've only got to put about 700 miles on it, don't really drive the truck that much, ill try and see if I can get somone with a timing gun and see were its at, thanks a lot very usefull info scence I'm not familir with these motors, thanks again
dcollins311   +1y
One more thing I can think of it that the thermostat neck that u take off to get the thermostat out will work 180% off. If u look at the neck at the top there should be a arrow on the top.
droppedmitsu   +1y
Ok, but when you put the timing belt and everything back on, did you put the gears in all the correct positions to get everything exactly in time? Not talking about the distributor and ignition timing.