Page 1 of 1
Max Projects \  1982 D50 with Starion ESI-R Turbo swap

1982 D50 with Starion ESI-R Turbo swap

Max Projects
views 4480
replies 6
following 4

psyloibe   +1y
I have a 1982 D50 Sport 4WD 5 speed, and have just obtained the entire running gear out of a 1987 Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R. This includes engine, wiring harness, sensors, fuel pump, intercooler, plumbing, hoses, and everything that I need to swap it into my truck. I have the tools, time, and expertise necessary to pull this swap off, however I have some questions that I am unfamiliar with so I registered here in the hopes that someone would be able to direct me to more information.

I picked this all up because I heard that people have done this before. It seems logical, both are 4G54B based engines. I'm not afraid of fabrication or electrical work. My biggest concerns are with durability. My end goals are to run a reliable 200-225 WHP through the truck, and I was concerned about transmission and differential life. How much stress can the axles and transmission take before grenading? It seems likely that they will not be able to handle the increased torque, what with the original engine only rated around 105hp new. However, it could be like some vehicles I've run across and be overbuilt for the application and I could still be in the safe zone. Do any of you have any input?
baha   +1y
The only input I can give is it sounds awesome! I hope you post lots of pictures. I can't wait to see when you start the swap.
john   +1y
Hi Psyloibe ,

Do not use the stock transmission in your turbo swap. It is the weakest link in your drive train.

The Starion/Conquest tranny is stronger to handle the power to the stock turbo engine. Acquire and swap in the Starion/Conquest transmission as well.

As you increase horsepower up to 225 whp, you may exceed the limit of the Starion/Conquest transmission.

The stock rear-end can handle all the power you are talking about.

John
psyloibe   +1y
Hell, I meant to name myself Psylocyibe with a c but Typoed on the main screen who should I email about that? I just got the starion parts car home late last night and can post plenty of pictures later. I'm at work right now. Are there any ways to run the increased power but maintain 4wd? Part of the whole reason the swap appealed to me was for trail bashing, I had intended to apply appropriate tires for dirt. I know it doesn't have suspension or clearance to make crawler but it can still be an awesome sleeper as well as multipurpose.
psyloibe   +1y
Pictures of the parts car.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

the quote from my other car forum for the extraction:

The scope of the D50 project changed. I originally picked it up for free from a guy that said I could have it for free if I got it running. Drove it for about 200 miles and found it had blown a head gasket on every cylinder, cracked the head, and spun a bearing. While dead in the water on parts I began going crazy on fucking with its appearance because hey, free ratty minitruck. Everyone should have one little beater they don't really give a shit about at least once in their life, this was mine. Now just as I was finishing the rebuild of the original motor the Starion fell in my lap.

Here's pics of my D50, so named the Froot Truck.

Album with everything so far:

As it was driving:

thread post photo

Pulling the engine and tranny:

thread post photo

Fucking around with the dash, I painted it purple green colorshift paint and added stickers.

thread post photo

john   +1y
hi Psylocyibe,

Thanks for the pictures and the story of getting the car home.

According to ProjectZeroG, the Starion transmission will handle about 400 hp.

Here's the link:

Keep us undated on your engine swap.

John
baggedbmy93mazda   +1y
hey whats going on with this thing.....update?
Page 1 of 1