threads
Page 1 of 1
Max Projects \  Anyone want to help direct me?

Anyone want to help direct me?

Max Projects
views 1827
replies 7
following 3

sparkey_sti   +1y
Im going to go for a build. Im not asking for answers; but have questions on how to find the answers. I need someone (or better, someone's) to help direct me. My plan is to do a 6g72DOHC T on a 94 Mighty Max 4x4. Its a big project; but im going to have time. Im picking up a mashed 240sx to get me from A-B so i can do this massive project.

The drive for this is messing with my friends TE72 4AG-E 16v swap i've determined i can do better; much better. That and watching Eric Plebani's truck haul in a youtube video; looked damn fun. Plus i have a blown engine in my truck with less then 100k on the odo. What more do i need? But i would gladly appreciate if someone could help with this... such as...

How do i find out exactly what transmission i have?
Is it possible to set up without A/C controls or will that take special modding itself?
Do you think a 6G72 DOHC T can fit in the bay well?

Thanks.
sparkey_sti   +1y
K, well i think i answered one question, I think i have the V5MT1 Tranny; aka trans axle no?

Also i just thought, if i change my trannyl bye bye transfer case huh?
qballd50   +1y
Sparkey, i will keep this up on the top for you so people can see it and help you out!
sparkey_sti   +1y
Thanks qball.

Well, this is what i gathered up last night...

I have the V5MT1 transaxle, i believe there are sub-codes 1-4 after that; if so; i have ver 4 probably over the 3. Slight problem, but still same bellhousing bolt pattern.

The 6g72 SOHC and DOHC have the same bellhousing bolt patter, as well as the 6G74 im now looking at...

The 6G72 and 74 both have quick twin turbo options.

The 6G74 is 18cm taller then the 72; but i think theres enough room; if not im throwing a 2.5RS scoop on; i've always wanted to. (Props to JECR lol)

The 6G74 was found in montero's, and has the same block mounting patterns as the 6G72 DOHC; still gota cross ref to the SOHC. Possibly might have to re-mod the rear mount; but still should be good

Obv, the DOHC is wider... but should be enough room no?

The only problems i've found so far are the dizzy. the SOHC 72's have a mecanical, while the DOHC and 74 have electrical; but i guess a piggy back system will fix that. Other then that, the engine; ecu, and wireing harness should set me straight. Im not looking for stock look or anything; so im prolly going to look into just doing like a full stand alone system of some sort.

Luckily some of the 3SI and dodge fourms are helpin me out... i ran across someone already wanting to try a V5MT1 in his 6G72 DOHC T for the optional 4x4... but obv not good for racing. So sounds like it'll be a TON of work; and monies, but doable and not mass loads of fab; pending the headers and such will fit... Still unsure of engine size....
spicoli   +1y
Spark, theres a bit of info on Old_Colts new forum 6g72rwd.forumcircle.com Lots of talk bout the 6g using rwd w/ boost primarily TT not a easy/cheap/well known route

All motors that go by the code 6g7X will interchange trannys and most generally mounts, I was told the 3.5 uses different mounts from a guy in Oz. If i was gonna build a serious 6g7X motor id use the 6g75 3.8l V6 DOHC comes in the gen 3 monteros and a few other things.

V5mt1 is the basic tranny for the v6 trcusk

theres been a pile of guys talk going the TT route if it was me I think one small 16g pushing a max of 10psi into a pretty stock 6g7X would be good enough. The 6g74 DOhC is rated at 220hp while the 6g72 sohc runs 150ish. 10lbs could go a long ways.....

My idea for my v6 truck is just to swap in the 6g74 dohc w/ auto and t case from the montero. Theres been a guy on 4x4wire that put doublers on his montero using the v4aw tranny and a NP231 tcase or 2. and doublers would be awesome.
sparkey_sti   +1y
I was just reading about a double T Case... that the one where guy drafted his whole plan out? I admire and want to meet that genius...

But i was lookin at the 75 as well; but the newer you go; the more expensive. Thats why im contemplating just going with the DOHC TT, then swap in the 3kgt vr4 turbo parts; but diff turbo. Im not worried about big boost ether; just have the shell to do such a turbo project; why the hell not? So a single turbo kit would be nice. I still got to plan a bit. This just came up like a week ago, so im still brainstorming. Cause isnt the 75 a bit bigger then the 74, and im kinda sketched about spacing as is... thats why im probably just going to do a 72 is spacing issues... If i learn to weld a bit more myself then i wont mind having to hack up the engine bay possibly; cause i see that being an issue maybe.

I'll start lurking around that fourm you pointed me to; im on a few 3S and Turbo Dodge fourms that kicked around the idea of the V5MT in their 3K's so we'll see where it goes... if you got any other words tho pass em by; i'd love to hear your thoughts...
spicoli   +1y
the TT wont work w/o some trick steering/ turbo flange. theres been a few folks over there talk about it and thats the things theyve all said they had probs with.
sparkey_sti   +1y
NOOOOO! Lol... that was a fear i wasnt wanting to bring up. Damn. Damn damn damn. We have to do that to my friends TE72; swap to Rack n Pinon to run ae86 headers. I knew that'd be a problem on this. There's no way around that? What exactly is the turbo flange? Lol... cause dont the turbos go on the left? So WTF is a flange for em doin on the right haha.
Page 1 of 1