Page 1 of 2
Max Suspension \  Cut coils: How to 94 max and like

Cut coils: How to 94 max and like

Max Suspension Max Tech
views 4100
replies 11
following 6

sleeps   +1y
The reason for this is, I printed out the "how to" 7 step process to help me cut my coils. Problem was it was referring to a older max, like a 90 or earlier. When I got down to it, it is not the same, and those directions do not work. Therefore, if your max or d50 has the shock inside the coil spring, this is for you.

1. Jack up front end and secure on 2 jack stands.
2. Remove wheels.
3. Unbolt sway bar and bushings.
4. Unbolt lower strut bar (goes to bottom of lower controll arm, also is bolted to the lower bump stop. Just the 2 bolts at the controll arm).
5. Unbolt bottom bolt for caliper, swing the caliper up for easier access.
6. Remove the 2 bolts on the lower part of the shock, and the upper bolt to remove the shock.
7. Put jack under lower controll arm once all these parts are unbolted and moved out the way.
8. I removed the upper ball joint castle nut to the spindle, and brake the ball joint away from the spindle. (they make a special tool for this that looks like a fork with just 2 points) Then slowly lower the controll arm down as far to the ground as you can. Also use something to hold the brake rotor/caliper/controll arm out of the way before you go in for the spring.
9. The coil make take a little soft prying to get out. Becarefull mine was still slightly compressed and "sprung" out with a little force.
10. I used a electric drill and a cutting disk. Took about 5 min to cut through. Cost me $5 for 2 disks. Filed the cut edge and sprayed some paint for corrosion protection.
11. Cut both bump stops as close to half as you can. *Hint* Top bump stop I unbolted and rebolted upside down on the top of the upper controll arm. Cut it right there with a plain hand saw.
12. Replace in reverse order-ish.

For a reference I cut exactly 1 coil and got a 2inch drop. Installed new monroe heavy duty gas shocks, rides great. I hope this helps people as it took me a few good hours figuring out why the directions I got were not correct.
tnd50   +1y
mine is an 89 it has shock inside the coils.
sleeps   +1y
Werd. Well either way the directions I printed out would not work for what my truck had. Maybe they left a few important steps out? Anyway, I used this method to drop mine. So maybe it will help someone else as well.
baggedbmy93mazda   +1y
nice write up man...i am sure others will put use to this....fortunately i am bagged..

OH... and if anyone messes up and needs some stock coils...well i have a set or 2 laying around...lol
traayho   +1y

im gonna cut mine tomorrow, if i take off to much you'll be hearing from me
dale   +1y
i have a 1990 and my shocks are in the coils does your truck ride good and is it posable to see a finished pic of your truck i wonna see how 2" looks cuz i have 3" blocks in the back but the front is stock and will it efect my 17" cattys
droppedmitsu   +1y
All trucks 87-96 have the exact same suspension(as long as they're both 2wd), pretty sure even the first generation have pretty much the exact same suspension also.

Also WARNING to anyone looking to take apart the front end to cut their coils, you will need an alignment afterwards as it will throw everything off by taking it all apart and also lowering it.
dale   +1y
Cool thanks and I knew about the linement will it make my catty rims rub?
droppedmitsu   +1y
When I had my 17" denalis(exact same size and offset as caddy rims) andwas lowered 2.5" they only rubbed with the wheels turned to full lock, but you can turn the steering stop screw on the back of the spindles to fix that so the wheels will stop turning before they start rubbing on the strut rod(bar that goes to front of vehicle)
dale   +1y
Awesome thanks I got a new number ill text you when I get all my contacts I just bought a 87 4X4 mm my 2WD is getting parked so I can get started on my 4g63 swap so ill be bugging you LOL if that's cool